Southern Italy - Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
- Tour Pompeii, a fascinating Roman city destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD, and walk through its streets and buildings preserved by volcanic ash.
- Admire the beauty of pastel-painted villages and towns with cinematic piazzas while touring the Amalfi Coast.
- Hop on a boat ride to the ultra-glamorous island of Capri and see the waterfront cave (Blue Grotto).
- Visit the Ballarò food market in Palermo and try street food delicacies like arancini, sfincione, and cannoli.
- Take a trip to Matera, southern Italy’s city of caves.
- Remember that most restaurants in Southern Italy, especially in Sicily, close their doors at 12:30 or 1 pm and reopen anytime between 3 and 5 pm. This practice is called riposo or the Italian siesta, an early afternoon shutdown of business to rest during the hottest part of the day.
- Italians are obsessed with coffee and usually drink it before 11 am. Order a cup of espresso and have your morning coffee fix at the bar counter to blend in with the locals. If you decide to sit at a table, you may end up paying for table service.
- Make sure to have some cash on hand when visiting Southern Italy. Many places, especially locally owned businesses, do not accept credit cards.
- In Southern Italy, the English language is not very common. The younger generations in the hospitality industry speak English, but you will not find English speakers at food markets and local shops. So, learn a few basic words in Italian to get by.
- Try Calabrian hot peppers, feast on pasta and pizza in Naples, and order a plate of Pasta Norma in Catania.
Southern Italy is a perfect destination for a holiday. Whether you wish to book a Southern Italy tour to explore the ancient ruins, spend your days on the beach in Calabria, or get lost in the picturesque streets of Naples, the lower part of the Italian "boot" offers something for everyone.
Check our complete Italy travel guide to plan a trip to Italy.
You can also fill out our form to customize your trip to Italy.