France - Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
There are all kinds of markers for your holiday in France. A wine region, a river, an attraction, a cathedral, an outdoor adventure, urban wonders, just about anything could end up being the highlight of your itinerary. With most cities offering a peek into traditional Europe and all places boasting of fascinating natural beauty, it doesn’t get any better either. Irrespective of where your interests lie, a trip to France always includes arts and architecture. After all, some of the most famous museums, ancient Roman temples, renaissance-era wonders, artworks and landmarks can be found in the country. Considering that its star attraction, the Eiffel Tower, attracts more than 7 million visitors each year, you can understand why trips to this country are always memorable.
- Take in the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower
- Eat some escargots
- Watch the sunrise from steps in front of the Sacré-Cœur in Montmartre
- Listen to the ringing bells at Notre Dame Cathedral
- Do a wine tasting tour in Burgundy and Bordeaux but areas like Champagne, Rhone Valley and Loire are equally spectacular.
- Try the mouth watering seafood of Britany and Michelin-stars of Provence to the black truffles of Dordogne
- Try the distinct cheeses of Burgundy
- Take a cruise down the Seine
- Visit the floating monastery of Mont Saint-Michel
- Stroll through the gardens of the Palace of Versailles
- While many French people speak English, they prefer to speak French. The locals really appreciate when tourists make an effort to learn some basic words and phrases.
- Most French cities, including Paris, can be seen entirely by foot. Pack decent walking shoes
and save money on public transit.
- The French are very polite and expect good manners. Avoid antisocial behaviour like shouting and chewing gum.
- Unless it’s on your bucket list, skip the Mona Lisa. While the Louvre is well worth a visit (and is free on the first Sunday of each month), this painting can be difficult to see as it is surprisingly small and often surrounded by big crowds snapping photos.
- Beware pickpockets and sneaky tricks to get your money. Don’t allow a street vendor to help you “try on” a bracelet, and do not pick up “gold” rings you find on the ground - these are common tricks.
France has seasonal weather so please do check up on best time to visit France before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in France, do check out our France Travel Guide for more information.
Popular Tour Types in France
- France luxury tours: Splurge on one of our France luxury tours for an unforgettable holiday experience. Stay in a five-star hotel and enjoy the sightseeing as private chauffeurs whisk you around Paris's monuments in style and without having to wait in long lines. Visit ancient villages and walk in the footsteps of great artists like Monet and Van Gogh. While at it, enjoy the best wines from the vineyards of Bordeaux and scrumptious French cuisine.
- France private tours: Visit the Louvre, Palais Royal, Notre Dame, and the Eiffel Tower on our private France tours. Then, visit Carcassonne's archeological museums and enjoy some exclusive wine tasting in Beaune. These tours are designed so that you can experience the magic of France at your own pace.
- France guided tours: Join other tourists from around the world while you discover France's hidden beauty. You will see the magnificent Chateau de Chenonceau and the picturesque Port of Honfleur, as well as soak up some rays on Omaha's landing beaches on our France-guided tours. These trips are the best way to learn about French heritage and culture from an expert guide.
- France budget tours: Our budget-friendly tours are the ideal choice for you if you are on a strict travel budget. On a cheap boat cruise, savor all the romance of Paris. As your tour guide regales you with the history of the landmarks, visit the fabled Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame cathedral. Once there, you can see where some of the most well-known artists in the world find their inspiration. Our budget tours to France unquestionably offer the best value for your money.
- France group tours: On our group tours to France, you will explore some of the country's most stunning locations with like-minded travelers. Observe the ancient menhir while hiking through Corsica's mountains. Enjoy a day at the Mediterranean's sandy beaches and take in some of the best scenery France has to offer.
- France customized tours: Our France customized tours allow you to choose the destinations and activities that tickle your fancy. Revel in the charm of Provence, where you can sip fine wine and enjoy mouthwatering French cuisine in a serene environment. Perhaps you are better off hiking the numerous trails in Corsica, where you can enjoy picturesque views of mountains. Whatever you want, our local tour guides can help you arrange it through our customized tours.
Acitivity-based France tours
- Adventure tours: If you are seeking outdoor excitement, our thrill-packed France adventure tours are the perfect option for you. Cycle along as you savor the lavender fragrance in the fields of Provence. Hike the challenging trails in Corsica, conquer the peaks of towering mountains, and take off-the-beaten paths to discover the hidden treasures of Dordogne.
- City sightseeing tours: Our France city sightseeing tours allow you to do all the touristy activities that make a Paris trip memorable and much more. Enjoy all the highlights in Paris, including the Hall of Mirrors and the world-famous gardens in the majestic palace of Versailles. Then head to Nice and Cannes to marvel at the picturesque scenery and immaculately blue waters. Do not forget to make a stop in Marseille and experience true French culture and cuisine.
- Bicycle tours: With our selection of France bicycle tours, you can take advantage of one of the world's best cycling destinations. These tours enable you to explore the best of modern France, from the lavender fields of Provence to the historical sites in the Dordogne valleys and villages to the mountain trails in Corsica.
- Cruise tours: France is blessed with countless water bodies, and a cruise tour to France with top-class cabin accommodations is one of the best ways to explore the country’s highlights. Marvel at the picturesque ports in Seine valley and get awed by the fairytale-like landscape on the Moselle. You will also cruise through Provencal Rhone and the Camargue while stopping to travel in jeeps through the wild Camargue and experience the Avignon and the private apartments of Papal Palace.
- Honeymoon tours: France is the country of romance for good reasons, and you can rest assured that you will thoroughly enjoy your honeymoon here. Our France honeymoon packages take you to the most romantic destinations in the country, with boat cruises through the romantic Rhine valley, cycling through the lavender fields of Provence, and enjoying fine dining and wine-tasting in the villages of Bordeaux.
Popular durations for France trip
We recommend spending at least 10 days in France to get the best out of the country. Although you will be leaving wishing you could have more time, this duration allows you to see most of Paris' highlights, enjoy the Mediterranean beauty in Nice, cycle through the lavender fields in Provence, and enjoy some premium wine in Bordeaux.
France— Top destinations to visit
- Lose yourself in the beauty of Paris: Paris is known as the city of love, but that is not to say it is for lovers only. Whether you are alone or with a partner, you are guaranteed to enjoy every minute spent exploring the magnificent sounds and sights of this city. Visit the iconic tourist locations like the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Eiffel Tower, then stop at the Louvre Museum to see Leonardo da Vinci's famous Mona Lisa and other priceless French Impressionist pieces. Next, board a quick train from Paris to the Palace of Versailles to admire the splendor of the palace, its luxuriant gardens, bubbling fountains, and the stunning Hall of Mirrors.
- Cycle through the lavender fields in Provence: Provence represents the calm side of France, and the colorful village manages to feel untouched by the hustle and bustle of modern civilization. The lavender fields fill the air with a pleasant fragrance. Its dreamy landscape has inspired numerous famous paintings by renowned artists. A visit to Provence should take you to the medieval town of Saint-Paul-de Vence as well as Gordes, where you will enjoy spending time at resorts and basking in the Mediterranean sun. Also, do not forget to stop at the Palais de Papes in Avignon and the Roman Theater in Orange.
- Taste some delectable wine in Bordeaux: Take a trip to Bordeaux, where you are treated to grandiose castles, vine-covered hills, blue rivers, and scenic tree-shaded trails. Visitors can enjoy the calm beauty of this city on cycling and group hiking tours. Bordeaux is also famous for being the top-wine producing city in France. Its exclusive wine-tasting experiences and delicious local cuisine are to die for. While there, take some time to stop at Saint-Emilion, a little village around Bordeaux that houses some renowned churches and monasteries.
- Take in the beautiful scenery in Strasbourg: The elaborate cathedral, picturesque canals, and winding cobblestone streets of Strasbourg draw tourists looking for a getaway from big cities. On the Alsatian wine route, you can indulge in some delicious wine while learning more about the region's renowned culinary specialties. You can also take boat tours through Breisach on the calm waters of Strasbourg, taking in the gothic architecture and picture-perfect scenery along the way. Many visitors also fall in love with the half-timbered houses in the tiny Venice of Colmar. You must also see Eguisheim, arguably France's most stunning village, while touring Strasbourg.
- Walk in the shadow of Mont Blanc in Chamonix: The magnificent mountain village of Chamonix promises an alpine ambiance, where you will revel in the chance to walk in the shadow of Mont Blanc, Europe’s highest mountain. The hiking routes offer peerless scenery, and there are a variety of small, friendly local hotels that give the feel of a home away from home. If you are feeling adventurous, you can take the cable car ascent to the Montenvers cog railway or Aiguille du Midi. And if the weather permits, there is nothing better than skiing in the pure snow of the Alpine mountains.
Peak season and low season of France
- Peak season: The high season for tourists in France starts from May to July. The weather is warm and pleasant, and you will enjoy long hikes in the mountain areas of Corsica and take amazing pictures in the lavender fields of Provence. However, large tourist crowds can be a major issue in the world's most visited tourist destinations. Popular highlights like the Eiffel Tower and Louvre can have long queues if you are visiting France during the peak season.
- Low season: The off-seasons in France are April to June (spring), October to November (fall), and December to March (winter). Although there is a slight chance of rain, especially in Paris, the spring and fall seasons are crisp and pleasant. However, there are significantly fewer visitors to popular tourist attractions during these times. There is no better time to ski in the French Alps than during the chilly, rainy winter months.
Popular France trip travel guide
If you are planning a trip to France, you will want to know about the best time to visit France as we check out all the available France tours. You may also wish to learn more about the top things to do in France. Once you are sure about some of the activities you wish to experience in France, along with the destinations you want to visit, you may want to consider how many days to stay in France. We generally recommend staying at least 7 days in France, but recommend 10 days in France or more, to get the most out of the trip to France.
Next, we recommend you start thinking about the money you can allocate to the trip to know whether you should be looking for a budget tour, luxury tour, or perhaps or completely customized tour to France. If you are in doubt, check out all our France tours at the top of this page.
France is an amazing country to visit, and there may be other key factors that you wish to consider before traveling there. Please check our "France travel guide" which will give you a lot of relevant information about traveling to France.