There are all kinds of markers for your holiday in France. A wine region, a river, an attraction, a cathedral, an outdoor adventure, urban wonders, just about anything could end up being the highlight of your itinerary. With most cities offering a peek into traditional Europe and all places boasting of fascinating natural beauty, it doesn’t get any better either. Irrespective of where your interests lie, a trip to France always includes arts and architecture. After all, some of the most famous museums, ancient Roman temples, renaissance-era wonders, artworks and landmarks can be found in the country. Considering that its star attraction, the Eiffel Tower, attracts more than 7 million visitors each year, you can understand why trips to this country are always memorable.
- Take in the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower
- Eat some escargots
- Watch the sunrise from steps in front of the Sacré-Cœur in Montmartre
- Listen to the ringing bells at Notre Dame Cathedral
- Do a wine tasting tour in Burgundy and Bordeaux but areas like Champagne, Rhone Valley and Loire are equally spectacular.
- Try the mouth watering seafood of Britany and Michelin-stars of Provence to the black truffles of Dordogne
- Try the distinct cheeses of Burgundy
- Take a cruise down the Seine
- Visit the floating monastery of Mont Saint-Michel
- Stroll through the gardens of the Palace of Versailles
- While many French people speak English, they prefer to speak French. The locals really appreciate when tourists make an effort to learn some basic words and phrases.
- Most French cities, including Paris, can be seen entirely by foot. Pack decent walking shoes
and save money on public transit.
- The French are very polite and expect good manners. Avoid antisocial behaviour like shouting and chewing gum.
- Unless it’s on your bucket list, skip the Mona Lisa. While the Louvre is well worth a visit (and is free on the first Sunday of each month), this painting can be difficult to see as it is surprisingly small and often surrounded by big crowds snapping photos.
- Beware pickpockets and sneaky tricks to get your money. Don’t allow a street vendor to help you “try on” a bracelet, and do not pick up “gold” rings you find on the ground - these are common tricks.
France has seasonal weather so please do check up on best time to visit France before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in France, do check out our France Travel Guide for more information.