A trip to Huacachina means stepping inside a remote oasis amidst vast sand dunes of south-western Peru. A welcome break for all exhausted travelers, this lush getaway will welcome you in the thick shade of exotic palm trees that stretch along the shores of an ethereal desert lagoon. Due to a high number of bars, cafés and restaurants, holidays in Huacachina are also a great excuse to unwind and satisfy all your needs after days or weeks of non-stop exploration.
- Huacachina’s Lagoon is the absolute highlight of this hidden desert oasis. Here, you can relax by the tranquil pearly water or, alternatively, hire a paddle boat and go out on the lake.
- Sand dunes which frame this idyllic oasis are the perfect spot for watching sunsets, which in Huacachina are extra special due to its desert setting.
- Sandboarding is one of Huacachina’s favorite past-time activities. Local guides will show you how to navigate the sandy slopes and get your adrenaline pumping.
- Going on a dune buggy tour is another unique way to experience the sandy terrain of Huacachina, especially if you’re looking to embark on a bona fide white-knuckle ride.
- Wine lovers can use this opportunity to visit one of the wineries or pisco bodegas dotted around Huacachina. Not only will you get a chance to learn more about local wine-making process, you will also be able to taste some of the aromatic home-grown varieties.
- Since Huacachina is considered to be a more of an upscale resort, expect prices to be notably steeper compared to the rest of the country, especially as most restaurants and bars are associated with hotels.
- If you plan on indulging in desert activities, make sure you’re properly dressed: pack a pair of closed-toe shoes, sunglasses, a hat and a wet bandana to protect your face from the sand.
Peru has seasonal weather so please do check up on the best time to visit Peru before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in Peru, do check out our Peru Travel Guide for more information.