1. Hike to ancient archaeological wonders
A trekking adventure in Jordan feels like you have been transported thousands of years back in time. Trails here are filled with history and take you through dramatic landscapes such as arid deserts, red-rock cliffs and tranquil pools.
- Best time to hike: March – May (spring) to avoid the sweltering temperatures of summer and to spot blooming wildflowers across the country’s landscapes.
- Tip: A life-changing tour in Jordan that is a must for your bucket list is the roughly 650 kilometer Jordan Trail. This cross-country trail traverses through dozens of charming villages, the shimmering waters of the Red Sea and to the iconic UNESCO World-Heritage Site of Petra.
2. Ride atop a camel through the desert
Approximately 75 percent of Jordan is barren, desert landscape and camels used to have a monumental role in transportation across the country. Going on a camel trek through vast sections of the desert is one of the most invigorating adventure tours in Jordan to experience this unforgiving terrain.
- Best time to ride: March – May (spring) and October – November (fall) for more pleasant daytime temperatures and warmer night temperatures.
- Tip: Wadi Rum is one of the best places in Jordan to get a camel ride. You can make the ride as long as you want but try not to go for a ride shorter than 2 hours as it really won’t be worth the price.
3. Scuba dive to spot colorful marine life
Jordan is one of the top diving destinations in the Middle East thanks to its abundance of coral reefs beneath its shores. Although the country only occupies 27 kilometers of Red Sea coastline, there is much to discover for underwater explorers.
- Best time to scuba dive: April – May (spring) and September – October (fall) to avoid brutal summer temperatures and for greater visibility underwater.
- Tip: Visit the Aqaba Marine Park to witness the best dive sites Jordan has to offer. This 7-kilometer-stretch of protected coastline contains 20 dive sites with vibrant coral formations and sea life just beneath the surface.
4. Rock climb along rugged cliffs
With imposing sandstone and red-rock formations dotting the landscape, Jordan is quickly becoming a renowned rock-climbing destination. Its sheer walls, jagged monoliths and massive boulders make this a rite of passage for climbers.
- Best time to climb: October – April (fall, winter and spring) to avoid the scorching daytime temperatures of the summer.
- Tip: With hundreds of climbing routes to choose from, Wadi Rum is simply a must for experienced climbers. The most daring rock-climbing adventure tours in Jordan are located here and include multi-day excursions and tough rock scrambles.
5. Cycle through jaw-dropping terrain
Cycling ranks among the best adventure activities in Jordan to fully immerse yourself in the country’s culture and landscapes. Bike journeys in Jordan can be extremely challenging but conquering its deserts and mountains is a fulfilling reward.
- Best time to cycle: March – May (spring) for pleasant riding temperatures, lush scenery and little rainfall.
- Tip: Cycle through the city of Umm Qais to discover some of Jordan’s less-explored archaeological sites. There are numerous Greco-Roman ruins here and your ride will reward you with sweeping panoramic views overlooking the valleys.