Austria - Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
Seeing the stunning mountain ranges you saw in “The Sound of Music” movie is not the only reason for a holiday in Austria! The city of Salzburg in Austria feels almost unreal with its modernity and urban sophistication smoothly blending into the nature that surrounds it. Wherever you go in Austria from its capital Vienna to the small suburban villages, the view of Austria’s sky scraping mountains will not escape your sight. If you love seeing castles and ruins, Austria has a plenty of magnificent castles including the world famous Castle Hohenwerfen. This is a country which always ranks high in the lists of peaceful and trouble free countries in the world. If you are a first time traveler, a solo traveler or travelling with small kids, Austria will be the perfect destination for your next holiday.
- Cruise the Danube River
- Ski down the Austrian Alps
- Take in a performance at the Vienna State Opera
- Speed down the Mieders Alpine Coaster
- Discover the sound of music in Salzburg
- Get lost in the 1,441 rooms of Schönbrunn Palace
- Gaze out at alpine views from the Schafberg cog railway
- Hike the floating walkway of Rappenlochschlucht in Dornbirn
- Don’t let the lack of turnstiles fool you - public transit in Austria is NOT free. The routes run on an honour system, but you’ll be faced with a hefty fine if caught travelling without a ticket.
- Jaywalking is not only frowned upon in Austria, it is illegal. Don’t risk it, especially if there are police nearby. Always wait for the light or find a zebra crossing.
- Bring your sweet tooth! No trip to Austria is complete without trying an apfelstrudel. Other must-try national foods include spätzle, a cheesy egg noodle dish, and weiners schnitzel.
- Sunday is a day of rest in Austria, and the locals take it very seriously. You may find it hard to find an open shop on a Sunday.
- Even though they speak the same language, do not make the mistake of assuming Austrians are Germans. They have separate cultures and even speak in different dialects.
- Austria is surrounded by other countries. If you’re looking to expand your European travels, you’ll often find inexpensive bus links to Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Slovakia.
Austria has seasonal weather so please do check up on best time to visit Austria before planning your tour.