1. Scuba dive in turquoise waters
Explore the mysteries of the enchanting seas dotting Turkey’s beautiful coastlines. Whether you dive into the Aegean or Mediterranean, there are tons of scuba diving adventure tours in Turkey to discover marine life, underwater caverns and even shipwrecks.
- Best time to scuba dive: April – November due to warmer water temperatures and excellent visibility.
- Tip: The Turkish coast is regarded as one of the world’s best scuba diving regions and towns like Kas, Antalya and Bodrum are among the most popular launching pads for an underwater adventure in Turkey.
2. Hike famous footpaths
Turkey is a hiker’s paradise due to the historic trails that stretch hundreds of kilometers through striking natural terrain. Some of the country’s most well-known paths take you through verdant forests, snow-capped peaks, sharp canyon walls, glacial lakes and unspoiled beaches.
- Best time to hike: March – May (spring) and September – November (fall) due to the sweltering heat of summer and chilly winter nights.
- Tip: Nestled along Turkey’s historic southern coastline, the Lycian Way is a roughly 540-kilometer trail extending from Ölüdeniz to GeyikbayÄ±rÄ± and is one of the world’s most famous hiking trails. The ancient path is known for its immaculate limestone peaks, panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea and historic ruins.
3. Sail stunning coastlines
With over 8,000 kilometers of coastline spanning four different seas, a sailing trip in Turkey is one of the best ways to view its breathtaking seascapes. From the calm waters of the Black Sea to island hopping in the Aegean Sea, the Turkish coast is a magical place.
- Best time to sail: April – October (spring, summer and fall) provides delightful temperatures and the ideal wind conditions.
- Tip: One of the most unique adventures in Istanbul you can experience is sailing the Bosporus Strait, the body of water that separates Europe and Asia.
4. Cycle dramatic landscapes
Hopping on your bike and cruising through the rugged countryside is one of the most exciting adventure activities in Turkey. From untouched coastlines to rocky hills, cycling in Turkey will be an experience like no other.
- Best time to cycle: April – June (spring) and September – November (fall) to avoid the brutal temperatures during the summer.
- Tip: Some of the best places to cycle in Turkey include Cappadoccia, the KapidaÄ Peninsula, and Büyükada.
However, we don't recommend novice cyclists to embark alone on a cycling adventure trip in Turkey, routes can be difficult to navigate (since GPS is not always helpful) and there are not many places to make repairs.
5. Ride a hot air balloon in Cappadocia
The otherworldly rock formations of the Cappadocia region have taken the internet by storm in recent years. Flying high above the fairy chimneys, rocky valleys and cave houses in a colorful balloon is an unforgettable adventure tour in Turkey.
- Best time to ride: April – June (spring) and September – October (fall) since there is less rainfall in the area.
- Tip: Flight cancellations for Cappadocia hot air balloon rides are common due to unfavorable weather conditions, and it is wise to plan on staying in Cappadocia for at least three days to ensure you experience this incredible thrill.