- duration 13 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Journey over the Tibet Plateau to Rongbuk Monastery and Mt. Everest
- Absorb the dramatic views of the north face of Everest
- Explore Lhasa and visit Potala Palace, former home of the Dalai Lama
- Delve into the rich cultural traditions of Tibet, visiting Tashilhunpo Monastery in Shigatse
A stunning overland journey through Tibet with a visit to the historic Everest Base Camp. This is our classic Tibetan journey - a rugged crossing of the Tibetan Plateau linking the fabled city of Lhasa with the bustling and vibrant Kathmandu. In the company of our Tibetan speaking guides we include the cultural highlights of Lhasa including the Potala Palace, the Jokhang temple, the Norbulingka plus the Drepung and Sera monasteries, with visits to Gyantse (the Kumbum chorten) and Shigatse (the Tashilhunpo). A highlight of the journey is our visit to the famous Rongphu Valley to see Mount Everest's north face from the historic base camp used during the expeditions led by Mallory in the 1920s - an experience shared by only a handful of dedicated travellers each year on this remarkable journey through Tibet.
Day 1 : Arrive Kathmandu, Nepal
Day 2 : Morning sightseeing in Kathmandu, transfer to Balthali
Day 3 : Day walks around Balthali
Day 4 : Return to Kathmandu via Bhaktapur
Day 5 : Fly to Lhasa (3600m), Tibet
Day 6-7 : In Lhasa (3600m)
Day 8 : Drive to Gyangtse via the Khamba Pass (4900m) and Karo La (5200m) (7-8hrs.)
Day 9 : In Gyangtse, drive to Shigatse (2hrs.)
Day 10 : Drive to Shegar (5-6 hrs.)
Day 11 : Drive to Rongphu Monastery (5000m) via the Pang La (5150m) (7-8 hrs.)
Day 12 : At Rongphu Monastery. Drive to Old Tingri (5-6 hours)
Day 13 : Drive to Kerung (4-5 hours)
- Radisson Hotel in Kathmandu
- Comfortable hotels in Chengdu & Lhasa, best available guesthouses across Tibet
- 12 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 6 dinners
- Airport transfers in Chengdu, Lhasa and Kathmandu
- Private transportation
- Expert bilingual guide
- Use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat
- Souvenir World Expeditions 80l kit bag
- Sightseeing and site entrance fees as listed in itinerary
- Portable altitude chamber for group use
- Bottled Oxygen for emergency use
- Group medical kit
- International flights
- Chengdu-Lhasa flight. Please contact your local World Expeditions office to arrange your flights.
- Meals not included in the daily itinerary
- Alcoholic and bottled drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- Airport & departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 108+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this High Road to Lhasa tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 21 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 21 July 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
High Road to Lhasa tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this High Road to Lhasa tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.