- Walking tour
- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Walking along the fabulous "Tratturi" or ancient footpaths that run through orchards and olive groves
- Discovering the "Cipolline Path", a breathtaking walk overlooking the sea
- Exploring historical sites en route including Roman masterpieces, churches, fortresses and villas
- Experiencing the buzzing city of Lecce with its baroque palaces, delicious food and artisan shops
Walk through an ever changing landscape to discover the many natural and historical secrets that set Puglia apart from the rest of Italy. The coastline of Puglia between Otranto and Gagliano del Capo offers superb walking opportunities taking in all the diverse elements that the region is famous for. Enjoy sensational views, crystal clear swimming spots and little known villages as you explore this untouched landscape. Walk along the traditional tratturi, ancient roads and footpaths running through orchards and olive groves, and along the Cipolliane Path, a breathtaking walk overlooking the sea and named after the caves you'll discover along the way. After an enchanting circular walk among oranges and olive trees, you leave Otranto to follow an earth red coloured trail along the sea leading towards the lighthouse of Punta Palascia, the eastern most point of Italy. In the following days you'll pass tiny fishermen hamlets, coastal spa towns as well as ancient Messapian villages before concluding your walk in Lecce, known for its baroque palaces and Roman masterpieces. The landscapes along the route are ever changing, from coastal shepherd's paths along the open grasslands of the Puglian savanna; stone walled roads carved by the passage of ancient carts and lush forest trails with towering trees. Along the way you'll be kept company by the rustle of ancient olive trees, the sounds of crickets, the smell of wild fennel and liquorice, and the twinkle of the azure sea. With handpicked accommodation awaiting each evening, be indulged as you dine on freshly prepared seafood and sample an array of gelato flavours.
Day 1 : Arrive Otranto
Day 2 : Otranto circular walk (2hrs)
Day 3 : Walk to the tiny cove of Porto Badisco via Punta Palascìa lighthouse (5hrs)
Day 4 : Follow a coastal shepherd's path then head to Santa Cesarea Terme (4hrs)
Day 5 : Walk to the ancient Messapian town of Castro then ascend to Marittama (4.5hrs)
Day 6 : Walk along traditional tratturi paths towards Marina Serra (4.5hrs)
Day 7 : Walk the Cipolliane Path towards Gagliano del Capo (5hrs), train to Lecce
Day 8 : Trip concludes
- 7 nights in 3-4 star hotels and B&Bs on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities
- Information pack including route notes and maps per room booked
- 7 breakfasts, 2 dinners: Breakfasts are usually continental inclusive of breads, tea, coffee & juices. Dinner will consist of 3 courses, usually starting with a salad or pasta dish, followed by either a chicken, red meat or fish dish with seasonal vegetables & finishing with a dessert of fruit or cakes
- Luggage transfers - on Day 7 to Gagliano train station only
- Emergency hotline
- Travel to and from Otranto / Lecce
- Meals not included (lunch daily and 5 dinners). Allow EUR15-20 for each dinner and EUR5 for a picnic lunch
- Items of a personal nature including drinks, souvenirs, phone calls, internet and laundry etc.
- Entrance fees (museums, galleries etc.)
- Guide - this is a self guided tour
- Travel insurance - mandatory
- Tourist Tax - allow EUR1-2 per day - payable directly to the hotel
- Transfers using public transport, day 7 Gagliano del Capo to Lecce (with your luggage)
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 49 today.
- Earn US$ 33+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Puglia Coastal Walk tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 06 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 06 May 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Puglia Coastal Walk tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Puglia Coastal Walk tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.