Greece in December: A Winter Wonderland
- 1.9k views
December might not be the most popular month of the year to take a trip to Greece, but there are certainly bonuses to visiting in the low season. While December is the wettest month of the year and you should expect fair use of your raincoat, the weather is generally mild, although a bit unpredictable. Tourist destinations are less crowded if you are planning on taking a trip to Greece in December, so you can go to the more popular spots without waiting in long queues. If you don’t mind damp weather and lower temperatures, Greece in December is a great winter destination.
Greece Weather in December
The temperature in Greece in December is on average around 12 to 19°C during the daytime, but of course, this depends on where you go. Coastal destinations are likely to be a little windier, but inland a wind speed of 3 mph is more usual. The average rainfall over December is 70 mm, so be prepared for some wet days on your trip. While it might be difficult to visit many of the Greek islands in December (due to a lack of transport in the winter months) you can still visit popular destinations like Rhodes or Southern Crete, which are typically crowded during the rest of the year.
For an in-depth seasonal review, check out our travel guide on the best time to visit Greece.
Weather in Greece in December - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||13||14||17||20||25||30||33||34||29||24||19||15|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||7||7||9||12||16||21||24||24||20||16||12||9|
|Avg Daily (°F)||55.4||57.2||62.6||68||77||86||91.4||93.2||84.2||75.2||66.2||59|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||44.6||44.6||48.2||53.6||60.8||69.8||75.2||75.2||68||60.8||53.6||48.2|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||57||47||41||31||23||11||6||6||14||53||58||98|
Why Visit Greece in December
There are plenty of reasons to visit Greece in December, even if the weather isn’t at nice as at other times of the year.
- Better rates: A trip to Greece in December means lower accommodation rates, along with lower prices for other travel-related activities. One night’s accommodation in December typically costs around USD 67, compared to USD 100 per night in August.
- Fewer crowds: While Greece can see almost four million tourists visiting per month throughout the summer, in the low season that drops to fewer than five hundred thousand tourists per month. Visiting Greece in December you will see fewer crowds, shorter lines for attractions, and be able to meet locals more easily.
- Christmas traditions: If you love traditional celebrations, you’ll be pleased to know that Christmas is celebrated with orthodox fervor in Greece. Taking part in the celebrations, such as seeing decorated boats and eating Christopsomo, will be a memorable part of your trip.
- Hiking in Zagori: If you love going hiking, December is a great time of year to explore the Zagori region. As well as enjoying the beauty of the Aoös National Park, you can also take part in activities such as skiing, canyoning, and river rafting.
- Thessaloniki: Greece’s second-largest city can be heaving in high season, but visit Thessaloniki in December and you can take in its charming beauty without crowds of tourists ruining your photographs. The Hagia Sophia is a must-see attraction, and for rainy days you can explore the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki.
Where to go and what to do
If you are the adventurous type, skiing in Karpenisi will be at the top of your list of things to do in Greece in December. Setting out from the Velouchi Ski Centre you can enjoy impressive landscapes laden with snow, and also enjoy activities such as rock climbing, mountain biking, caving, and more. Another great ski destination, you can also find gorgeous gardens to visit in Pelion. The charming villages in this region are set against the Aegean Sea and it’s a top place for enjoying sunset views. For history and culture, visit the Temple of Apollo in Delphi or check out the castle and church of St. Anne on Monemvasia island.
Greece in December has its pros and cons, just like every time of year. While the weather in Greece in December might not be the best for holidaymakers, it has other perks, such as cheaper accommodation and shorter queues for attractions. Read our guide on the best time of the year to visit Greece if you need more information. You will also enjoy reading our guide on how many days to spend in Greece if you are already making plans. We recommend spending 10 days in Greece in December to cover all highlights.
If you are considering a customized tour to Greece, you might want to get in touch with our travel experts for professional trip planning.
Other Related Articles:
Greece in January
Greece in November
Greece private tours