- 641 views
- ~ mins read
Touring Greece in March comes with many perks. It is the end of winter, and although visitor numbers start to increase, the country is not yet crowded. The weather begins warming up this month and you can expect several mild sunny days during your stay in the country. Discover the highlights of the country like the Acropolis of Athens and Delphi at your own pace, without the distraction that comes with tour groups all around.
The weather of Greece in March is also ideal for an island getaway, especially if you are planning to visit popular places like Santorini and Mykonos, which are inundated by travelers during the peak summer season.
- Alexandra Donovan
- From Wales
The weather in Greece in March varies, hovering between rainfall on some days and sunshine on others. Temperatures across the country start to increase noticeably towards the end of the month. March is the start of spring and a good time to visit Athens, which enjoys an average temperature of 16°C during this time of year. Since it is not too hot, you will have a great time exploring its highlights on foot.
Temperatures in popular destinations like Mykonos and Santorini average at around 14°C during this time of year. The latter sees highs of 16°C, while the lows there hover at 11°C. Although it is possible to spend a day out on a beach during this month, the Aegean and Ionian seas are still too cold for swimming.
For a seasonal overview, read our article on the best time to visit Greece.
Weather in Greece in March - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||13||14||17||20||25||30||33||34||29||24||19||15|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||7||7||9||12||16||21||24||24||20||16||12||9|
|Avg Daily (°F)||56||58||63||68||77||86||92||94||85||76||67||59|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||45||45||49||54||61||70||76||76||68||61||54||49|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||57||47||41||31||23||11||6||6||14||53||58||98|
|Avg Daily (°C)||14||17||20|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||7||9||12|
|Avg Daily (°F)||58||63||68|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||45||49||54|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||47||41||31|
Since March is part of a low tourist season in the country, some hotels, restaurants, and attractions may still be closed. Nevertheless, a vacation in Greece in March comes with many perks. We have listed a few of them below.
- Affordable flights: As to be expected, you will most likely be able to book your flights at a discounted rate when you visit Greece during the low season. This also applies to other kinds of transportation, including ferries that take you across the sea to islands.
- Better hotel rates: As one of the world's top tourist destinations, hotels in Greece can get expensive. But if you visit the country in March, you will find better prices on accommodation, especially in popular destinations like Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos.
- Less-crowded highlights: Unpredictable weather conditions in Greece in March mean that many tourists are still not keen to head to the country. Make the most of this opportunity as you take in the highlights in solitude.
- Cheaper excursions: Local excursions across Greece are cheaper during the low season. From walking tours to island-hopping activities and even watersports are more affordable during this month.
- Lots of greenery: Rainfall across Greece in March is followed by an abundance of greenery everywhere you go. For instance, the Acropolis, which usually looks barren and dry in summer, is blanketed with foliage and the first bloom of spring flowers in March.
One of the best things to do in Greece is to explore the art and architecture in Athens, such as the Parthenon and the city’s Acropolis. There is no better time to do this than in March when tour groups are still not around and there are hardly any queues outside these landmarks.
When going island-hopping, it is best to visit bigger islands like Rhodes, Crete, and Corfu since the tourism infrastructure of these places is much better. A few hotels and service providers do remain open in popular tourist areas like Santorini and Mykonos as well. However, make sure that you book your hotel and activities beforehand and clarify everything before heading for the country.
March is also the best time to go hiking in Corfu, as the island's central landscapes are covered in green and dotted with beautiful wildflowers. Make the most of your stay in the country with a hiking trip in the Vikos Gorge, a stunning natural landmark in the Pindus Mountains located in northwestern Greece.
Read our article on how many days to spend in Greece to further plan your trip.
Visiting Greece in March comes with many perks, despite it being a low season. Prices are cheaper and popular sites are free from tourist crowds. The best part is that Greek islands look much more beautiful during this time of year, as they are blanketed by foliage and wildflowers
So, if you are planning to visit Greece but are put off by huge crowds and extremely high prices, March is a great time to head to the country. Get in touch with our local travel experts if you are interested in a customized tour to Greece.
Alternatively, you could check our Greece tours in March.
Other related articles:
Winter in Greece