Loaded with fantastic historical sites, stunning beaches, magical islands, architectural wonders, and exquisite natural beauty, Greece is indeed a favorite for many tourists. Whether you are looking for a relaxing seaside vacation, breathtaking adventure, or wholesome cultural experiences, Greece has something for everyone. Here is our Greece travel guide that offers all the information you will need to fully enjoy your holiday in this beautiful country.
Start with our ultimate tips on planning a trip to Greece and then find out how many days to spend in Greece. Would 7 days in Greece be enough to take in the beauty of Athens, hop around all the amazing islands, and explore the ruins of Olympia? Perhaps you would prefer to spend 10 days in Greece to explore vibrant Thessaloniki, go temple hopping in Delphi, and have other unforgettable experiences.
Find out if you would rather enjoy the winter wonderland Greece in December, or the warm weather and stunning ambiance of Greece in November. And here is where you can read about the best time to visit Greece.
No doubt, there are a lot of things to consider and places to visit on your trip to Greece. But that is why we are here for you. We have a variety of Greece trips and tours on offer, and our experienced local travel guides are always on hand to help plan you're itinerary and make the most of your trip.
Top Destinations in Greece
Discover the highlights of Greece.
Go on a Sightseeing Tour to Athens
Experience the timeless allure of Athens, where ancient history and vibrant modernity collide. Marvel at the majestic Acropolis, stroll through charming Plaka, and savor authentic Greek cuisine. Uncover the wonders of Athens on an unforgettable sightseeing tour. View Tours
Embark on a Walking Tour of Santorini
On your walking tour to Santorini, discover the narrow alleys of Fira, marvel at the volcanic cliffs of the Red Beach and soak in the views of the caldera. Finally, end your journey in Oia, where whitewashed buildings cascade down the cliffs and offer mesmerizing sunset vistas. View Tours
Enjoy the Nightlife at Mykonos
Immerse yourself in the pulsating nightlife of Mykonos, where the party scene ignites. Dance the night away at beach clubs, savor cocktails at chic beachfront bars in Psarou, and and indulge in exquisite dining experiences at seaside tavernas. Let the energy at Mykonos ignite your nights. View Tours
When to visit Greece
Read the below travel guides to find the best time to visit Greece.
- Jan Avg Daily: 13 ° C Avg Nightly: 7 ° C
- Feb Avg Daily: 14 ° C Avg Nightly: 7 ° C
- Mar Avg Daily: 17 ° C Avg Nightly: 9 ° C
- Apr Avg Daily: 20 ° C Avg Nightly: 12 ° C
- May Avg Daily: 25 ° C Avg Nightly: 16 ° C
- Jun Avg Daily: 30 ° C Avg Nightly: 21 ° C
- Jul Avg Daily: 33 ° C Avg Nightly: 24 ° C
- Aug Avg Daily: 34 ° C Avg Nightly: 24 ° C
- Sep Avg Daily: 29 ° C Avg Nightly: 20 ° C
- Oct Avg Daily: 24 ° C Avg Nightly: 16 ° C
- Nov Avg Daily: 19 ° C Avg Nightly: 12 ° C
- Dec Avg Daily: 15 ° C Avg Nightly: 9 ° C
Greece in September: Perfect For Island-Hopping
Be it a culture vulture, beach bum, or an island-hopper, the weather in Greece in September allows for a wholesome travel experience regardless of your preferences. The beginning of September is still a high tourist season in the country. However, later i ...Read more
Greece in June: Best of the Sun and the Sea
The weather in Greece in June is warm enough for a proper beach vacation. The country sees very little rain during this time of year, the skies are a beautiful blue and you can enjoy long, bright days. If you visit Greece at the beginning of the month, yo ...Read more
Greece in April: The Perfect Spring Getaway
As you peel off the seasonal layers of a destination, it can dazzle with diversity – and Greece is no different. The summer months of July and August might make it a popular beach holiday destination, but traveling to Greece in April reveals charms ...Read more
Greece at a Glance
Quick facts about Greece
Athens is the capital city of Greece. The city dates back to about 3,400 years ago, making it the oldest in Europe.
131,957 km². About 17 percent of the total size of Greece is island territory. Ferries are readily available to move from island to island, while the well-developed public transportation system makes getting around on the mainland a breeze.
The Greece country code 30 allows you to call Greece from another nation. After the IDD, dial Greece phone code 30. Greece international dialing 30 is followed by an area code.
Greece uses the Euro (€). Banks, ATMs, and currency exchange booths are available all over the country. Most Greek service providers do not accept the American dollar, but you can always use your card to make payments.
The International Airport of Athens is the main airport in Greece, serving both international and local travelers. It is located within 33km of the city center. Code: ATH. Closest city: Athens.
As part of the Schengen zone, most travelers can enter Greece for up to 90 days without a visa. Some nationalities, however, do need a Schengen visa. We recommend checking your country’s travel advisories before booking a trip.
The official language of Greece is Greek, though the country has about 24 spoken languages. English is widely spoken in major cities across the country. Learning a few native words and phrases also goes a long way. Start with ‘Chairete’, a customary local greeting.
112 is the number to call in case of an emergency.
For all its pretty islands and beaches, 80 percent of Greece is made up of mountains. So, if you like long challenging hikes, you are visiting the right place. Just remember to pack your gear.
How long to stay in Greece
Read about the ideal duration to stay in Greece.
7 Days in Greece: Top 3 Recommendations
Dotted with islands and infused with millennia-old history, Greece is a one-of-a-kind destination. Cover most of the country’s top attractions during 7 days in Greece. See the towering Acropolis of Athens while in the capital and explore the ruins o ...Read more
5 Days in Greece: Top 2 Recommendations
With captivating landscapes, remote islands, and a history stretching back to the dawn of civilization, explore Greece which offers ample options regardless of the duration of your stay in the country. Those on a fortnight-long vacation can combine hiking ...Read more
Great Greece Itineraries: How Many Days to Spend?
A country with ancient history and breathtaking natural beauty, Greece comprises a mainland along with hundreds of small islands scattered through the Aegean Sea. Some of the must-see places in the country include the historic cities of Athens and Thessal ...Read more
Greece Tour and Holiday Packages
Select the tour type that you are looking for.
group toursSee all group tours in Greece
private toursSee all private tours in Greece
family tour packagesSee all family tour packages in Greece
guided toursSee all guided tours in Greece
FAQs for Greece
Read the most frequently asked questions and answer about traveling to Greece below.
- What should I pack to travel to Greece?
- Are credit cards accepted in Greece?
- Do people in Greece speak English?
- How many days should I spend in Greece?
- What is the best time of the month to visit Greece?
Sustainable Travel – How to travel through Greece responsibly
In line with Bookmundi's vision, we wish to provide our travelers with a sustainable travel experience through Greece. As part of this effort, we carbon offset any Greece tour that you purchase through us. You can read more details about our carbon offsetting program.
Here is what you can do to travel through Greece responsibly:
- Carbon-offset your travel to Greece via Singapore Airlines. The moment your tour starts in Greece, and if you have purchased your tour through Bookmundi, we will carbon-offset your tour from its starting point to its ending point.
- You can donate a small amount to the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature, an NGO that’s committed to the conservation of the natural environment in Greece.
- Walk or cycle whenever you can in Greece. And if you cannot, choose public transport over private taxis to limit your carbon footprint.
- Support small museums and art galleries when you visit Greece. The locally run exhibitions and galleries provide a unique insight into the Greek art scene and promote environmental sustainability.
Greece travel tips and insights
- Rather than sticking to one island on your trip, opt for a multi-island adventure and include the lesser-known islands.
- Quad bikes are a great way to get around on the Greek islands.
- Greece’s rich cuisine is more than enough reason to visit. Like virtually every other place, look for where the locals eat to get the best culinary experience. Also, be open to variety.
- Greece is a cash-heavy country. Many service providers in lesser-known islands may not accept credit cards. So, always have some cash in your person.
- Estimates show that about 50 percent of Greeks smoke. Thus, do not be surprised to see a lot of people smoking. Though smoking in restaurants and indoor public spaces has been banned, the level of enforcement differs from establishment to establishment.
Ready to customize your Greece Vacation
Book your trip when it is perfectly designed and customized, just for you.
- Sirma Molla Travel Expert in Greece & Macedonia
- Andrijana Kovačević Travel Expert in Greece & Italy
- Nicole Morello Travel Expert in Greece & Italy
- Greece trips
- Greece budget tours
- Eco tours in Greece
- Greece guided tours
- Greece family tour packages
- Greece luxury tours
- Greece private tours
- Greece self-guided tours
- Greece solo trips
- Greece tailor-made vacation packages
- Greece tours for senior citizens
- Greece tours for young adults
- Greece group tours
- Greece last minute deals
- Greece travel deals
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Art and architecture
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- City sightseeing
- Museum and gallery visits
- Walking tours
- Chill out
- Getaways and short breaks
- Sailing, yachting and motor boating
- Food tours
- Local culture
- Active and outdoor
- Party and nightlife
- Sightseeing Tours
- Bicycle tours