- 13.25k views
As exciting as it is to spend time in Kathmandu (especially if you’re a first-time visitor), its chaotic pace can quickly cause a sensory overload. Luckily, there is a slew of attractive destinations dotted around the capital that will provide much needed relief from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Whether you’re looking for utmost relaxation or want to get your adrenaline pumping, one of Kathmandu Valley superb resorts will be there to welcome you with open arms.
To help you figure out where to go when Kathmandu gets a little overwhelming, we have rounded up a list of 12 best weekend getaways in Kathmandu, in no particular order.
Sitting atop a hill just outside of Kathmandu Valley, Namo Buddha Resort is one of Kathmandu's best kept secrets. This quiet getaway, which is tucked away among lush greenery, offers six small houses, five medium houses and two large houses, suitable for hosting up to thirty guests. Other facilities at Namo Buddha Resort include a large, sun-lit hall ideal for yoga classes, workshops and conferences, as well as a rustic library overlooking immense mountain ranges. The kitchen offers a three course menu that changes everyday and they can cater to most dietary requirements as well. To explore the best of its tranquil location, we recommend staying for at least 2 nights.
- Why you should go: Peaceful setting; vegetarian-friendly; good for singles, doubles and families with children too
- What to do: See the Namo Buddha sacred sight; visit Thrangu Tashi Yangtze Monastery, Panauti heritage site and Dapcha town; take a scenic hike to Balthali and Phulbari village
- Average price per night: EUR 74* (starting for a single including breakfast and taxes) and for a double EUR 88* (for double). Halfboard and Fullboard rates are as well available.
- Address: Namo Buddha Resort, Phulbari - 1, Kavrepalanchok, Nepal
Ideal for thrill-seekers and laid-back travelers alike, the Last Resort is a luscious getaway perched on top of a river gorge. Staying at the Last Resort will allow you to immerse yourself in all kinds of exciting adventures, including bungee jumping, white water rafting and canyoning. Guests can stay in luxurious tents equipped with towels, bedding, clothes hanger with luggage racks underneath.
- Why you should go: A variety outdoor activities beside a gorgeous riverside setting and exotic lodgings
- What to do: Grab a drink at the relaxed Instant Karma bar; engage in a host of adrenalin-pumping adventures like bungee jumping, canyoning, and white water rafting
- Average price per night: From USD 60* for full board two-bed tents; adventure sports can be included at an additional cost if not reserved earlier
- Address (for reservations): Mandala Street, Thamel, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal
If you are planning a rafting trip in Nepal then check out this guide on 10 best rafting tours in Nepal.
Park Village Resort is located towards the north of Kathmandu, in the town of Budhanilkantha. It is an upmarket hotel designed for visitors who like to travel in comfort and style. This resort offers bright and airy rooms with modern décor; other amenities include a refreshing swimming pool, sun terrace and tennis court.
- Why you should go: Comfortable rooms, state-of-the-art amenities, close proximity to several natural and cultural attractions
- What to do: Go hiking at Shivapuri Nagarjun National Park, visit Khawalung Monastery and Budhanilkantha Temple
- Average price per night: From USD 100*
- Address: Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu, Nepal
This upscale resort has everything you need to secure a truly opulent holiday experience. You will be welcomed in spacious rooms decked out in rustic wood overlooking breath-taking snow-capped peaks. Hotel Country Villa also houses a Himalaya-themed restaurant, chic cocktail bar, as well as a coffee shop.
- Why you should go: Chic facilities, luxurious rooms with stunning views
- What to do: Visit the Changu Narayan Temple, Buddha Peace Park, and Sanku Bajrayogini Temple
- Average price per night: From USD 99*
- Address: Naldum Road, 44812, Nepal
This secluded oasis is one of the oldest resorts in the country. Here, you will have an opportunity to stay in solar-powered rooms with contemporary design, dine in a stylish restaurant serving Indian and Nepali fare, but also indulge in some quality me-time thanks to Hattiban Resort’s various spa treatments.
- Why you should go: Serene natural setting, modern interior, relaxing atmosphere
- What to do: Visit Pharping, Dakshinkali Temple, Champa Devi Temple and Khokana Village; ride a cable car to Chandragiri Hill
- Average price per night: From USD 100*
- Address: Hattiban, Pharping, Nepal
Sitting halfway between Kathmandu and Pokhara, this tranquil hillside resort will offer you a chance to unwind away from the eyes of the world. Summit River Lodge houses 17 colonial-style bungalows, all of which include air-conditioners, comfortable beds and laundry service.Sitting halfway between Kathmandu and Pokhara, this tranquil hillside resort will offer you a chance to unwind away from the eyes of the world. Summit River Lodge houses 17 colonial-style bungalows, all of which include air-conditioners, comfortable beds and laundry service.
- Why you should go: Relaxed rural setting, spacious interior, modern amenities
- What to do: Lounge around the swimming pool and the poolside bar; Visit the Manakamana Temple
- Average price per night: From USD 101*
- Address: Darechok, Nepal
With spectacular views of the Nepalese capital and rustic rooms and cottages offering superior comfort, it should come as no surprise that Shivapuri Heights Cottage is one of the finest resorts in the valley. Moreover, at Shivapuri Heights, you won’t have a shortage of fun activities you can indulge in – from cooking lessons to meditation classes.
- Why you should go: Gorgeous views, homely atmosphere, variety of on-site activities
- What to do: Visit Budhanikantha Temple; take mini-hikes around the forest; take a hike to Shivapuri National Park; take meditation classes; enjoy a BBQ with close friends
- Average price per night: From USD 85*
- Address: Budhanilkantha, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tucked away is the luscious greenery of the Gokarna Protected Forest, on an expanse that once served as royal hunting grounds, this gorgeous getaway will let you relax in an authentic Nepalese setting. This resort, whose architecture features a blend of styles inspired by Malla and Rana periods, offers impressively spacious rooms decked out in traditional Nepalese décor. Other amenities include a golf course, lush spas and Jacuzzis, a gym and a swimming pool.
- Why you should go: Spacious rooms, golf courses, enchanting forest is steps away
- What to do: Forest walks, horse rides, bird watching, cycling
- Average price per night: USD 131*
- Address: Rajnikunj, Thali, Kathmandu, Nepal
A perfect spot for a meditative holiday, Begnas Lake Resort & Villas lies on the shores of Begnas Lake in Pokhara. Its natural surroundings comprise virginal woodlands and meandering paddy terraces, all sitting against the backdrop of gargantuan Himalayan peaks. Accommodation options include rooms, cottages and deluxe suites with traditional Gurung interior. Here, you can also indulge in Ayurvedic treatments, attend yoga classes or take a dip in the refreshing swimming pool.
- Why you should go: scenic lakeside setting, lush spa treatments, ideal for yoga and meditation lovers
- What to do: Boat rides on Begnas Lake, short hikes around the village, trekking around the Pokhara Valley
- Average price per night: From USD 120*
- Address: Sundari Danda, Begnas Lake, Pokhara, Nepal
Set amidst vibrant rhododendron forest and paddy terraces, Balthali Village Resort offers a genuine off-the-beaten-path holiday experience. Rooms offer an understated décor with modern furnishings, while views feature spectacular mountain ranges stretching in the distance. On the resort grounds, you will also find a bright and spacious restaurant serving Nepalese and Chinese dishes prepared with fresh produce sourced from local markets.
- Why you should go: lack of tourist crowds, warm and welcoming staff, plenty of hiking opportunities
- What to do: Visit the surrounding villages of Panauti, Khopasi and Balthali
- Average price per night: From USD 66*
- Address: Balthali-4, Kavrepalanchok, Nepal
This premium hillside-perched hotel in Nagarkot offers a perfect fusion of nature and luxury. At Mystic Mountain, you will get an opportunity to relax in modern, sun-facing rooms and suites, all equipped with free Wi-Fi, mini bars and flat-screen TVs. Elsewhere, you can recharge your mind and body at the hotel’s tranquil spa or chat the night away in the chic cocktail bar.
- Why you should go: Unique hillside setting, state-of-the-art amenities, panoramic views of the Himalayas
- What to do: Visit Nagarkot view point tower, Nyatapola Temple and Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- Average price per night: From USD 122*
- Address: Baluwapati, Nagarkot, Nepal
At Dhulikhel Lodge Resort, you will be welcomed in comfortable rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows, relaxing verandas and cosy wooden interior. This getaway also offers an atmospheric restaurant serving traditional Nepalese fare, a chic cocktail bar and a relaxing spa which provides Thai, Ayurvedic and traditional Nepali massage treatments. Don’t miss out on the charming coffee shop, which blends traditional Nepalese and modern design elements.
- Why you should go: Amazing views, superb spa treatments, close proximity to Bhaktapur and all of its cultural attractions
- What to do: Visit the Thrangu Tashi Monastery, Kailashnath Mahadev statue and Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- Average price per night: From USD 80*
- Address: Dhulikhel, Kavrepalanchowk, Nepal
After going through this list, finding your own slice of paradise in the Kathmandu Valley doesn’t seem like such a daunting task anymore. Between intimate interiors, quiet atmosphere and natural sights unlike anywhere else on the planet, we are positive one of these resorts will be the ideal home away from home for your next weekend getaway in Nepal.
If you are looking for more travel advice for Nepal then please do check out our Nepal Travel Guide for more information.
*Please note prices are as of August 2018