The incredible biodiversity of the area provides a living laboratory for international scientific research. There are spectacular views of rugged Himalayan peaks, including Mt. Makalu (8,463m), fifth highest mountain in the world, Mt. Chamlang (7,319 m) and Mt. Baruntse (7,129m). Within 40km, all of these high peaks descend into the Arun River at 670m. The Makalu-Barun Valley provides stunning contrasts with craggy rocks rising from lush green forests, and colorful flowers bloom beneath white snow peaks. The dense forest of Rhododendrons, Nepal's national flower, covers the gorgeous hills of the Barun valley, where high waterfalls cascade into deep gorges, alpine meadows & the Barun glacier. Having a wide range of attitudinal and climatic variation the Makalu Base Camp trek offers a remarkable and diverse habitat for a rich variety of flora and fauna.
The trek starts with a flight to Tumlingtar and heads up the Arun River valley to Sedua and Num. From Num, the trail zigzags into the Arun and starts up the Kasuwa Khola turning westward crossing the Shipton La Pass (4,500m) into the upper Barun Khola valley. We pass through villages of the Brahman, Chhetri, Rai, Limbu, Gurung and Tamang community with their unique local culture and own mother language, tradition & costume.
Makalu Base Camp is a camping trek of a lifetime.
Day 2: Drive to Chichila and trek to Num.
Day 3: Trek to Sedua.
Day 4: Trek to Tashigaoun.
Day 5: Trek to Khongma.
Day 6: Trek to Mumbuk.
Day 7: Trek to Yangle Kharka.
Day 8: Trek to Yak kharka.
Day 9: Trek to Makalu base camp
Day 10: Explore around Makalu Base Camp early morning & trek down to Yangle kharka.
Day 11: Trek back to Mumbuk.
Day 12: Trek back to Khongma.
Day 13: Trek back to Seduwa.
Day 14: Trek back to Num.
Day 15: Trek to Chichila
Day 16: Drive to Tumlingtar.
Day 17: Flight back to Kathmandu.
- Airport pick up drop by private vehicle.
- Full board meal during camping, prepared by our cook with Tea & coffee.
- Twin sharing tented accommodation and equipment during the camping trek. (we will provide fully water proof two men tents, dining tents, kitchen gears, dining table, chairs, toilet tents, shower tent etc).
- Makalu Barun national park permit.
- Trekker`s management system(Tims) permit.
- Boiled and purify drinking water for the trek.
- Round trip flight fare Kathmandu-Tumlingtar-Kathmandu with airport pickup and drop by car, domestic airport Tax.
- A government licensed English speaking Guide during the trek. A cook, Kitchen helper, required number of porters, their food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment and medicine.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service which will be paid by your Travel insurance company.
- Sleeping bag, down Jackets and walking poles (If you don't have your own)
- Government taxes,service charge and office expenses
- Nepal visa fee.
- Drinks and beverages.
- Your Travel rescue insurance (compulsory).
- International airfare.
- Your personal expenses.
- Laundry service and battery charging.
- Personal trekking equipment.
- Tips for trekking staff (Tipping is expected).