- 1.26K views
- ~ mins read
November in Peru is the beginning of the rainy season. However, even though some places like Machu Picchu experience lots of rain, others, such as Lima, are quite dry. This means that if you know where to go, November can be an ideal month to enjoy a vacation in Peru and avoid crowds. Discover the dunes around Huacachina or surf the northerly swells of Chicama. Listen to birdsongs in the Peruvian Amazon or be part of the Puno Week on Lake Titicaca’s shores.
- Sofia Vieira
- From England
Peru has three distinct climatic regions. For this reason, the weather around the country varies depending on where you are. For instance, Lima and Mancora have warm and dry weather in November. If you are traveling to Lima, you are likely to experience the highs of 22°C and lows of 16°C. The Andean highlands are slightly colder. Cities such as Cusco see an average temperature of 24°C, and rain is frequent in this part of the country. The Amazon rainforest region, comprising 56 percent of the total area of Peru, is warm and humid. Here, the mercury can jump as high as 32°C.
To find out more, browse through our seasonal overview on the best time to visit Peru.
Weather in Peru in November - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||26||27||26||25||22||21||19||19||20||21||23||25|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||20||20||20||18||17||16||16||15||15||16||17||19|
|Avg Daily (°F)||79||81||79||77||72||70||67||67||68||70||74||77|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||68||68||68||65||63||61||61||59||59||61||63||67|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||3||0||0||0||6||6||8||8||8||3||3||0|
|Avg Daily (°C)||21||23||25|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||16||17||19|
|Avg Daily (°F)||70||74||77|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||61||63||67|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||3||3||0|
November is the beginning of the rainy season in Peru. Yes, some areas can get extremely wet during this time of year. However, coastal regions are pretty dry but cloudy. Do not let the weather ruin your vacation plans. Below are a few reasons why you should consider traveling to Peru in November.
- Better rates: November is the first month of the low season in Peru and is the ideal choice for those who need to save some money on their trip. You will get better deals on your accommodation, airline tickets, and an array of activities in Peru during this month.
- Fewer tourists: Traveling to Peru in November is also perfect for those who do not like big crowds. Most tourists visit Peru in July and August, making November the best choice for those who want a quiet, laid-back experience. If you cannot contend with crowds, this is one of the best times to visit Machu Picchu as you will not have to wake up at dawn to avoid the incredibly long queues at its entrance.
- Festivals and Events: If you are visiting Peru in November, you cannot miss out on Puno Week. This festival takes place at the beginning of the month and centers around November 5, also known as Puno Day. It marks the birth of Manco Cápac, who, according to legend, was the first Inca. Enjoy celebrations all over the city and get the chance to see a reenactment of Manco Cápac’s arrival on the shores of Lake Titicaca.
- Surfing: If you just started surfing and would like to train in an exotic destination, book your ticket right away! There are plenty of places to surf in Peru, and with the highest waves arriving in January, November is ideal for those who want to take it easy. Máncora is one of the most popular areas for surfers and is perfect for beginners.
- Hiking and nature: The Peruvian highlands experience about 15 days of rain in November. However, this does not mean that you cannot enjoy a nice hike! The country has a variety of coastal hiking areas perfect for nature lovers. For instance, you can head for Paracas National Reserve to spend a wonderful day in nature. While there, see the breathtaking cliff that is the highlight of this park and relax to the sound of the ocean.
There are plenty of activities in destinations across Peru in November. Those that love outdoor adventures can enjoy surfing, hiking, or even parasailing and kitesurfing. The ocean is pretty warm during this time of year, with temperatures of up to 27°C.
November is also the best month to discover Lima. You can take part in a historic tour of the city center, try Peruvian cuisine and visit one of the many museums in the city. Do not leave the Larco Museum out of your itinerary. This museum features the biggest gold and silver collection from ancient Peru! If you want to learn more about Peru’s culture and history, visit the floating islands of Lake Titicaca and fly over the mysterious Nazca lines.
Peru also offers plenty of options for nature lovers. Spend a few days trekking in the Cordillera Blanca, marvel at the stunning landscape of Colca Canyon, or relax at the beach in Cerro Azul while enjoying the breeze from the Pacific.
For more insights on what to do and where to go, check our travel guide on how many days to spend in Peru.
The beginning of the wet season may not seem like the best time to visit Peru. However, booking a vacation during this month may surprise you! With fewer tourists, lower prices, and plenty of activities for all tastes, November is one of the best times to visit Peru.
Need help planning your customized trip to Peru in November? do not hesitate to reach out to our local travel experts in Peru for a personalized itinerary! For instant inspiration, you can browse through our Peru November tours.