Situated in the Sulu Khumbu region, the Gokyo Lakes Trek will provide you with quieter surroundings but still jaw-dropping views of the world’s 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th highest mountains - Everest (8850 m), Lhotse (8516 m), Makalu (8463 m) and Cho Oyu (8201 m) respectively. You will follow the Dudh Kosi river up the Gokyo valley to meet its source, the enormous Ngozumpa Glacier. You then open out to see the dazzling series of emerald green lakes, surrounded by rough, lofty and beautiful mountain terrain.
The Gokyo Lakes Trek will take you through traditional Sherpa villages, notably the village of Gokyo, where not only will you experience local Sherpa culture, but also many herds of yaks – the native hardworking animals of the Sulu Khumbu region. The trek finishes with an early morning trek up Gokyo Ri (5367 m) from which you will be rewarded with unforgettable mountain views of the whole Sulu Khumbu region. For those who are seeking that extra challenge, this is an ideal trek. We promise, you will not be disappointed.
Gokyo Lakes Trek - Trekking Facts
|Trek Difficulty:||Level 3 - Medium|
|Trek Duration:||11 days|
|Max Altitude:||5357 Meters at Gokyo Ri|
|Accommodation:||Teahouses / Guesthouses / Lodges|
|Best Season:||Mar-May, Oct-Nov|
|Transport To/From Trek:||Flight to the town of Lukla; also accessible by taking a bus to Shivalaya and then a few days of trekking up to Lukla.|
The following is a standard itinerary for the Gokyo Lakes Trek. It may vary slightly depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- Day 1: Fly to Lukla (2860 m) and trek to Phakding (2620 m)
- Day 2: Trek to Namche (3445 m)
- Day 3: Namche Bazar acclimatization day + walk to Khunde, Khumjung and Everest View Hotel and back to Namche.
- Day 4: Trek to Dole (4150 m)
- Day 5: Trek to Machhermo (4470 m)
- Day 6: Trek to Gokyo (4790 m) Explore around village and Ngozumpa glacier.
- Day 7: Early morning climb up to Gokyo Ri (5357 m) for sunrise view. Then down to village and rest or walk to fifth lake and back to Gokyo village.
- Day 8: Trek down to Dole (4150 m)
- Day 9: Trek back down to Namche (3445 m)
- Day 10: Trek to Lukla (2860 m)
- Day 11: Fly to Kathmandu
An alternative Gokyo Lakes trekking itinerary passes via the Renjo La Pass. By taking that route instead you can trek in a circular route, often lasting 12 days in total.
The Khumbu region offers other trekking options besides the 10-12-day Gokyo trek:
- Gokyo and Everest Base Camp trek is similar to this trek. It explores the Base Camp area as well as the Gokyo valley and can be completed in 14 days.
- The standard Everest Base Camp trek is another trek in the Everest region and it takes 12 days to complete.
- If you have less time on your hands then you may want to opt for the Everest Panorama trek, which is a 7-day trek that shows you the beauty of the Everest region within a week.
Gokyo Lakes Trek - Safety considerations
We take safety very seriously here at BookMundi, as do all the trekking agencies on Bookmundi.com. All our trekking agencies are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback. They will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting. However, please note the following particulars for the Gokyo trek:
- This is a high altitude trek and therefore careful acclimatization is needed.
- Ensure acclimatization days are taken during the trek to avoid altitude sickness.
- Please make sure you are well prepared for the climate for that part of the season. In the Khumbu region, temperatures can drop to below freezing in late autumn and early spring. The temperature dip even further down during winters.