- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 7 days
- tour type Private Tour
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Most challenging route on Kilimanjaro and also the most scenic route on the mountain.
- High success rate of reaching to Uhuru Peak.
Often called the "Whiskey Route" this is a scenically beautiful trail, longer and much gentler than Umbwe or the Marangu route (the "Coca Cola Route"). Our itinerary provides valuable acclimatization by having extra, but shorter walking days during the trek.
General: Accommodation is camping throughout in 3 person mountain tents shared by two people. All your equipment will be carried by vehicle or local porters, you only carry a day-pack with personal gear. When camping you will not have to participate in camp chores. We buy fresh produce locally and to ensure good standards of hygiene all food is prepared by our own staff. We can cater for special dietary requirements and there are no extra food-kitty payments.
As such, I selected Maasai Wanderings for the good reviews I had and also because it is part of the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (you can have more details here: http://www.mountainexplorers.org/) that was a concern for me after my first experience. And what I can say is that I have not been disappointed, everything was perfect from the beginning to the end.
We were guided by Julius and his team that I recommend. He is a very nice guy, likable, always calm, encouraging you and giving all information required when you need it. He is adapting to you, and most of the time the first days, slowing you down to maximize a progressive acclimatization. I was interested by flowers and history of Kilimanjaro (snow cover, geology) and this guy is a big library.
Food was very good, varied and always in good quantity. It is surprising to see what the cooker is able to do in such conditions. There was a big mess tent where all meals were taken when it was not possible outside. The cooker is cooking just in front of you. The tent had also two extension rooms on each sides dedicated for staff (relaxing/sleeping). It was funny to see that despite of the altitude, the coldness etc. they were always happy, smiling, talking all time etc.
Everybody was dressed properly and adapted to the mountain conditions, even for the shoes. This is important to note because I have been very sad when I saw few other porters from other companies dressed just with a tee-shirt with holes everywhere or not descent shoes. When we reached the last camp (Barafu Hut) at around 13:00, one of the porter was sick and Julius, the guide, decided to escort him down to the gate quickly. He was back to Barafu Camp few hours before we left the camp to climb the final step and came with us! Everybody in the team successfully reached the top Uhuru Peak and of course everybody was very happy. Once again it has been an excellent trip and experience. I keep a lot of good memories.
For these reasons I recommend clearly Maasi Wanderings, for the quality of the guiding, the food, the tents, the team, all the equipments provided (and in good shape).”
Day 1: Drive from Arusha to the Machame Park Gate
Day 2: Trek from Machame Park Gate to Shira Cave (3,840m)
Day 3: Trek from Shira Cave to Barranco Campsite (3,950m)
Day 4: Trek from Barranco Campsite to Karanga Valley
Day 5: Trek from Karanga Valley to Barafu Hut
Day 6: Trek from Barafu Hut to Uhuru Peak to Mweka Campsite
Day 7: Trek from Mweka Campsite to Mweka Gate & back to Arusha
- All transport - 4WD Land Rovers, Buses or safari vehicles
- Accommodation as detailed - 3 person tents shared by two people when camping
- Camping equipment (except sleeping bags and personal kit)
- Services of guides and porters
- All National Park entrance and camp site fees.
- All food - breakfasts, packed lunches and evening meals
- Donations and payments to local community project
- International flights
- Accommodation & airport transfer before or after the trek
- Travel and personal accident insurance
- Visa, passport, vaccinations, medicines
- Expenditure on personal bar bills (including all additional drinks) drinks, souvenirs, personal items
- Optional excursions/activities not detailed in itinerary
- Any additional services requested
- Save +US$ 84 in Travel Credits on your next booking.
- Excellent Customer Service. Our Travel Experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
A deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.