- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 8 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Maximum altitude 5895 meters
- Kilimanjaro trekking on Machame route
- Trekking during the day and overnights in campsites.
The Machame route is also known as the Whiskey route, given its reputation for being a tough climb, in contrast to the easier Marangu route, which is known as the Coca Cola route. Unlike the gradual incline and hut accomodations found on the Marangu Route, the climbers on Machame hike steeper trails, for longer distances, and sleeping in tents.
The Machame Route climb can be done in a minimum of six days (five nights) on the mountain. However, it is most often tackled over seven days (six nights), for a better altitude acclimatization schedule. The trek begins at Machame Gate, located in the southern base of mountain, within its lush, fertile rainforest. The route heads toward the Shira Plateau, before circling along the southern circuit halfway around the mountain, exposing the climber to great views from all angles. The approach to the summit is made from the east, and the descent follows the Mweka trail.
The Machame Route is approximately 62 km/ 37 miles from gate to gate. It is designed for physically fit people with some hiking experience. The table below depicts a variation of the 7 day Machame climb with starting and finishing points, altitude, distance and hiking time. This is considered to be the ideal Machame route variation.
This was by far the most physically demanding and emotionally rewarding thing we have ever done!
Novi Travel & Tours came highly recommended to us by 2 friends who had taken separate treks with them. We agree that this is an exceptionally well handled Tanzanian company. The whole team was excellent and made our trek particularly memorable and fun with the enthusiastic singing and greetings by the team on several occasions. Other groups had greetings - but none were as frequent or as resonant as our Novi Travel & Tours team!
Lefrank - France”
Day 1: Arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport
Day 2: Moshi/Arusha - Machame Gate - Machame Camp
Day 3: Trek from Machame Camp to Shira Camp
Day 4: Trek from Shira Camp to Barranco Camp
Day 5: Trek from Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp
Day 6: Trek from Barafu Camp to Mweka Camp
Day 7: Trek from Mweka Camp - Mweka Gate - Moshi/Arusha
Day 8: Airport transfer
- Hotel accommodation in Moshi or Arusha on bed and breakfast.
- Quality, waterproof private mountain tents
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- All Kilimanjaro Park fees
- Rescue fees for Climbing Kilimanjaro Route
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Arrival and Departure transfers
- Guides, Porters, cook salaries and park fees
- Mess tents with table and chairs
- Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Crisis management and safety procedures
- Insurance and ethical treatment of porters
- Camping Mattress.
- International flights to and from Tanzania
- Tanzania Visa; $50 per person on arrival.
- Optional Tours (short safari after your climb, etc)
- Tips to the mountain guide, cook and porters
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking sticks/poles.
- Earn US$ 63+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
10% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.