Australia in December: The Start of Summer Season
- 959 views
The start of the summer season in the Southern Hemisphere means that it is warm right across Australia in December. In terms of the weather, you will want to stick to the country’s south, but that still leaves you with plenty of options, including cities like Sydney and Canberra, as well as Tasmania and the Margaret River. And although the Christmas break makes it one of the most popular times to explore Australia for both domestic and international visitors, the country’s size means there is always somewhere to soak up the sun in solitude.
Australia Weather in December
The tourist-friendly south of Australia has the coolest temperatures in December, although the island state of Tasmania still reaches 20°C despite the coastal breeze. Averages in cities including Sydney and Melbourne are 25°C, with the possibility of heatwaves during some years. It is hotter still in Western Australia, with Perth seeing daily temperatures of around 29°C. Generally speaking, Australia in December is dry, meaning that the best beaches in Australia are packed with sunbathers and swimmers. Brisbane sees some rain, which increases in intensity as you move to the tropical north around Cairns and Darwin.
For a month-by-month run down, read our article on the best time to visit Australia.
Weather in Australia in December - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||26||26||25||23||20||18||17||18||20||14||16||18|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||19||19||18||15||12||10||8||9||12||22||24||26|
|Avg Daily (°F)||78.8||78.8||77||73.4||68||64.4||62.6||64.4||68||57.2||60.8||64.4|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||66.2||66.2||64.4||59||53.6||50||46.4||48.2||53.6||71.6||75.2||78.8|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||131||126||164||133||101||140||56||99||65||88||116||85|
Why Visit Australia in December
Is December a good time to visit Australia? We would say so! Let us take a look at some of the reasons you will want to book an Aussie vacation during this time of year.
- Escape the cold: If you are coming from the Northern Hemisphere’s winter, Australia in December is the perfect destination for escaping the chill! If you are okay with crowds, then head for Noosa, located on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, else enjoy sun, sand, and solitude on Redhead Beach.
- Experience Christmas Down Under: They may do things differently, but Australians certainly know how to celebrate like the rest of the world. So, why not join them to mark Christmas by the ocean?
- Sydney to Hobart Race: An annual tradition on December 26, crowds take to Sydney Harbor to cheer on a fleet of racing yachts as they head towards Hobart, Tasmania.
- New year fireworks: Join the crowds at Sydney Harbor at midnight to watch what is always a spectacular display of fireworks over the iconic harbor bridge. Sydney celebrates its New Year's Eve earlier than most other cities in the world, which makes it all the more interesting.
- Sporting events: Summer means cricket in Australia, and fans of this sport are almost spoilt for choice when it comes to where to watch a game that is as much a part of Australian culture as Bondi Beach and koalas.
Where to go and what to do
If your aim is to enjoy the beaches outside of Sydney or Melbourne, your only problem in Australia in December is deciding where to head for. Many popular beaches lie in Sydney’s northern suburbs, with secluded options are available to the south of New South Wales. If you want to skip the sand and enjoy seaside scenery instead, there is Mushroom Reef to the south of Melbourne.
Adventure seekers also have plenty of choices in Australia in December. Hikers should consider the forests and coastline of Tasmania, where temperatures are ideal for walking. You could escape the heat by heading for the highlights of Canberra, which include the National Museum of Australia as well as the Australian Parliament House. In Western Australia, Perth acts as an excellent base for those heading on to Freemantle or Rottnest – one of Australia’s top island getaways. In Queensland, swap Brisbane for Noosa, where it is possible to kayak around Noosa Everglades and check out the inhabitants of Australia Zoo.
Australia in December is Australia at its prime. Sure, it is a peak season in the country’s south, but there is a reason for that. Fantastic weather conditions combine with festive celebrations during this time of year to create a vibe that you do not want to miss, be it marking the arrival of a new year in a Melbourne nightclub or hiking through the trails of Tasmania. Browse through our selection of Australia tours in December for more ideas or contact our local travel experts to plan your tailor-made trip to Australia in December now!
Other Related Articles:
Australia in November
Australia in January