Tanzania in October: Perfect Weather, Outdoor Activities and Tips
- 245 views
- ~ mins read
October is when Tanzania's weather is mostly clear skies and sunny days. Enjoy lakeside views, beach bathing and swimming, and excellent wildlife safaris. From hiking to the top of the highest mountain in Africa—Mount Kilimanjaro—to the thrill that comes with the Bagamoyo Festival, taking a trip to Tanzania in October is a wild dream come true.
Read on to learn more about what to expect from this East African land of volcanic peaks and savannah in October.
- Mina Menon
- From USA
Tanzania Weather in October
Although still a relatively hot month in the Tanzanian calendar, October is often characterized by short, scattered rains that come unexpectedly but rarely ruin any plans.
The weather is hot, with temperatures that usually range from 26°C to 32°C in the daytime. Nighttime temperatures may drop to somewhere between 11°C and 19°C, making for comfortable sleeping. The altitude also determines these variances. For instance, the temperature may be slightly cooler at Mount Kilimanjaro than at lower altitudes like Tabora.
If you want a more generalized view of each season in Tanzania, you can go through our guide on the best time to visit Tanzania.
Weather in Tanzania in October - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||31||31||31||30||28||29||27||28||29||30||30||30|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||23||22||22||22||20||19||18||17||17||19||21||22|
|Avg Daily (°F)||88||88||88||86||83||85||81||83||85||86||86||86|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||74||72||72||72||68||67||65||63||63||67||70||72|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||90||120||170||240||210||40||30||30||20||80||130||100|
|Avg Daily (°C)||29||30||30|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||17||19||21|
|Avg Daily (°F)||85||86||86|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||63||67||70|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||20||80||130|
Why Visit Tanzania in October?
If you choose to visit Tanzania in October, there are many activities you can enjoy this month. Although the weather is hot, you can still partake in many outdoor activities once you slap on a little sunscreen. Here are some reasons why you should visit in October:
- Shoulder season: Depending on the weather, October usually signals the end of the dry, high tourist season, and the start of the shoulder season. This means you'll likely get the great weather and wildlife spotting but with thinner crowds than in August or September. If you're lucky you might even get a few deals on prices.
- Dry season wildlife viewing: October is the perfect time to savor the breathtaking views and abundant natural beauty of Tanzania given the sunny days and thin foliage that comes with it. It is easier to spot wildlife quickly as many animals are gathered around the lakes, making for great pictures. The glorious Serengeti National Park, which houses the largest population of lions in Africa, could be your first stop.
- Bagamoyo Arts Festival: The Bagamoyo Arts Festival is one of the most important cultural festivals in Tanzania that usually starts in the middle of October. This is a week-long annual event at the Bagamoyo College of Art. This festival allows college students to display their skills and pick up others. It is a place where locals and foreigners meet to enjoy Tanzania's culture, dance, music, and theater.
- Trekking season: October is one of the best seasons to trek in Tanzania; there are no slippery slopes, heavy rains, or cold temperatures. Trails are dry and rain is scarce. A perfect month for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or Mount Meru.
- Scuba diving and snorkeling: Bring your equipment if you visit Tanzania in October. Visibility is at its peak during the dry season, so it's perfect for scuba diving and snorkeling.
Where to go and What to do
There are many fun things you can engage in when you visit Tanzania in October. No matter how long you spend in Tanzania, visiting any of these places will make the visit worth it.
If you are into trekking and hiking, make the best of the climate in Tanzania in October and go to the top of Mountain Kilimanjaro. The temperature is usually not too hot or cold because the mountain is close to the equator. You can go on days that promise a full moon for stunning views and unforgettable memories.
Visit Zanzibar Island to enjoy some time at the beach or go scuba diving in October. The weather is warm and the water is clear. For wildlife enthusiasts, exploring Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara could be at the top of your list. Since October is still a dryer month, many animals gather in watering holes for water making it ideal for game drives and wildlife viewing. What better time to admire and take beautiful snapshots of the rhinos than then?
Arusha National Park may have less wildlife, but it has more than enough birds to compensate for it. Bird watchers should find their way there.
There are other things to do in Tanzania in October, including a safari in the Serengeti National Park and Mafia Island.
What to Bring
While the weather in Tanzania in October cannot be defined as extreme, there are some measures you need to take to have the best experience. You can wear light clothing during the day as it is usually warm. However, ensure you bring some warm layers you can use when the temperatures drop at night. This is especially important if you stay at a place with high altitudes. Rain is scarce during this season. However, you can bring a raincoat if you are going around the end to protect yourself against the light showers. Remember to hold your sunscreen!
Visiting Tanzania in October is a decision you will always be glad you made. There are lots of fun activities you can engage in during this season. From the stunning views to the fresh air and flourishing fauna, you can be sure to make lasting memories when you go there. This is the perfect time to savor the culture of Tanzanians. Don't forget to take beautiful photos to seal those wonderful moments in a frame.
Planning a vacation can be overwhelming, so let our travel professionals handle the details for you with our customizable trips to Tanzania. For more inspiration, check out our guide on safaris in Tanzania. Let us help you plan the perfect trip!
Tanzania in November