- City sightseeing
- Local culture
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Booking Type Instant booking
- duration 11 days
- tour type Small group Request as private
- age requirement 15-99 yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-3100
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English
- Discover Japan's most iconic city sights, from walking the Geisha district and seeing the cultural landmarks of Kyoto to touring the temple district and cruising past all the contemporary highlights of Tokyo.
- Learn more about the sobering past of Hiroshima at the memorial park, the museums and the monuments dedicated to the memory of the victims – they now also advocate for world peace and serve as a reminder of the devastation of war.
- Feast on okonomiyaki – Japan’s signature savoury pancake of egg, cabbage, soba noodles and meat or seafood – at an included dinner in Hiroshima at a special local restaurant.
- Meet the locals over a home-cooked dinner during your stay in a ryokan (a traditional Japanese inn) in the mountain town of Tsumago – the historic medieval village preserved from the Edo period.
- Spend a night in Koya-san’s Shukubo Temple and learn about the customs of traditional Japanese accommodation as you share vegetarian meals with the monks who run the lodgings.
- By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Eden Reforestation Projects. Donations help them provide local employment opportunities and tackle climate change one tree at a time as they restore forests across 10 different countries.
- Show more
Steeped in centuries of tradition and full of culinary prowess, Japan is awash with sights to see and histories to uncover. From Kyoto to Tokyo, spend 11 days exploring the heart of Japan, with memories of the Edo era, sobering warfare sites, lush natural landscapes and eclectic neighbourhoods to discover. Be tempted by tempura, savour your sushi and sip some sochu as you discover the endless variety and diversity of Japan with your small group, all headed by a local leader who knows all of the best places to go. What’s stopping you embarking on a cultural escapade to the home of geisha, torii, sake and nori?
Day 1: Kyoto
Day 2: Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: Koya-san
Day 5: Hiroshima
Day 6: Hiroshima
Day 7: Tsumago
Day 8: Matsumoto
Day 9: Tokyo
Day 10: Tokyo
Day 11: Tokyo
- Hotel/Ryokan (9 nights), Temple Stay (1 night)
- 10 Breakfasts, 3 Dinners
- Public Bus , Subway , Bullet Train , Train , Boat
- An expert tour leader
- Kyoto - Ryoanji Zen Garden
- Kyoto - Nijo Castle
- Kyoto - Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Kyoto - Gion District walk
- Koya-san - Okunoin Cemetery
- Himeji - Himeji Castle
- Hiroshima - Peace Park & A - Bomb Dome
- Hiroshima - Peace Museum
- Hiroshima - Miyajima Island
- Tsumago - Nakasendo Walk
- Matsumoto - walking tour
- Tokyo - Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo - Sumida River Cruise
- Tokyo - Hama Rikyu Garden
- Any international flights to Kyoto and from Tokyo are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Classic Japan tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Personal Itinerary can be tweaked and customized.
- Protected Travel within your own bubble.
- Professional Access our Travel Specialists' insider knowledge.
- Privacy Enjoy a tour focused solely on you or your travel group.
- Earn US$ 183+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Classic Japan tour. You can cancel the tour up to 58 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 57 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 April 2024, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 April 2024, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 57 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Classic Japan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Classic Japan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you
- Japan is best to explore on foot. In fact, most travellers are surprised at how much distance they end up covering just exploring places on foot! Make sure your shoes are comfy and you are fit enough to spend most of each day on your feet.
- In some destinations you may be staying in a ryokan, which is a Japanese-style inn. It's a great taste of tradition, however not everyone finds futon mattresses on the tatami mat floor, tiny bathrooms and proximity to other guests as comfortable as more western-style hotels and beds. This is an important thing to consider if you have problems with your back or knees, as the surface is really firm and there may be no other furniture (eg chairs) in the room. Read more about ryokans here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/traditional-japanese-ryokan/
- Be prepared to pack light and smart for this trip as you'll be required to carry your own luggage between train stations and to hotels, which can include going up and down multiple flights of stairs in crowded areas. At some destinations, larger luggage will be forwarded on ahead of you, so it'll be easier to get around if you have a smaller overnight/day pack.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.