With its 5,895 meters Mt Kilimanjaro is Africa's highest mountain and the world's highest free-standing mountain. The first recorded ascend of Mt Kilimanjaro was in 1889 by the two climbers Hans Meyer and Ludwig Purtscheller.
Mount Kilimanjaro is located within Kilimanjaro National Park giving climbers an opportunity to spot wildlife during primarily the first day of your Kilimanjaro trek.
There are primarily four popular routes to climb Mount Kilimanjaro:
- Marangu Route - also known as the Coca Cola route because of its availability of cokes in the tea huts
- Machame Route - the second most popular route on the mountain after the Marangu Route
- Lemosho Route - known for its beauty and relatively few people
- Rongai Route - the only route that starts from the Northern side of the mountain, known for giving good opportunitues to spot wildlife during the first couple of days on the climb
The Marangu Route should be the easiest of the above four routes. Despite hereof the success rate is often higher on the Machame Route, probably because people taking that route are more prepared.
Other less popular routes available for climbing Kilimanjaro are:
Jan to Feb and July to October are some of the best months to climb Kilimanjaro. The worst months are April, May and November due to a high level of precipitation. That said, due to the generally friendly climate it is indeed possible to climb Kilimanjaro all year round.
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is not dangerous, however, precautions certainly have to be taken as otherwise it may become dangerous. Please always follow the below recommendations when climbing Kilimanjaro:
- We always recommend to climb the mountain in 7 days, as proper acclimatization is needed. Even if having chosen a 7 days climb you may still, for some reason, acquire altitude sickness. Therefore, please do familiaries yourself with how to treat and prevent altitude illness prior to commencing the climb.
- Assess your climbing guide and porters before taking off. They have to appear professional and friendly and also posses the required knowledge and Kilimanjaro climbing experience.
- There are a lot of fraud climbing companies present in Tanzania who do not have the required climbing permits and licenses. Please therefore only book with a company that have all the required authoritizations (in this regard it ought to be mentioned that Bookmundi only works with licensed companies that have all the necessary permits).
We wish you a fantastic climbing experience on Mount Kilimanjaro!