- duration 9 days
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Abu Simbel Sun Festival
- The Pyramids & Sphinx at Gisa
- Cairo's famous Egyptian museum
- Philae Temple by boat
This unique 9-day Egypt tour starts in Egypt’s capital city of Cairo, before we head to the scenic cities of Aswan and Luxor. The tour is set to fall in line with the Sun Festival held at Abu Simbel’s Temples twice yearly.
Abu Simbel was built by King Ramses II (c.1279-1213 B.C.E.). He wanted its internal chamber to light up twice a year – the first time on 22 February, on the anniversary of his ascension to the throne and the second time on his birthday on 22 October.
In the early 1960’s, the entire temple complex was moved to higher ground when the Aswan Dam caused Lake Nasser to rise and inundate the area. The two temples were dismantled and raised over 60 meters up the sandstone cliff where they were reassembled, in the exact same relationship to each other and the sun, and covered with an artificial mountain.
Now, every year, the temple faces east, and at the solstices – twice a year – the dawn sunlight is aligned to light the entire length of the temple entrance corridor, lighting up three of the four statues at the end of the corridor. Only the statue of Ptah, the god of darkness, remains in darkness.
Once we arrive in Cairo, we’ll explore the Great Pyramids and the towering Giza Sphinx, before we make our way to Aswan to explore the island-based Philae Temple and the Aswan Dam.
Our trip to Abu Simbel starts early, as we aim to be at the monument before sunrise. It will be busy, but it's very organised and everyone will have a chance to go inside to see this magnificent spectacle.
After witnessing this unique experience, we’ll head back to Aswan as we set sail on a traditional felucca sailboat for a peaceful cruise on the tranquil waters of the Nile River, as we head to Luxor. A support boat will join us every now and then, which includes a welcome toilet, showers and a massage deck. An alternative upgrade to an extra night in the hotel in Aswan is available if you prefer.
En-route to Luxor, we’ll stop to visit the Kom Ombo and Edfu Temples and once we arrive, we’ll visit the towering Karnak Temple, the tombs at the Valley of the Kings and Queen Hatchepsut Temple. You’ll also have some free time to explore the busy markets or relax at the hotel pool before we head back to Cairo. As an additional extra, you can add a visit to the Red Sea, please contact us for details as extensions are easily arranged from Luxor to Hurghada, and then back to Cairo from there.
Day 1 : Your Egypt tour begins in Cairo. Airport to hotel transfers included
Day 2 : Visiting the Great Pyramids and Sphinx of Giza
Day 3 : Aswan, Nubian Village and the Philae Temple
Day 4 : The Abu Simbel Sun Festival and a Traditional felucca cruise on the Nile River
Day 5 : Exploring the Kom Ombo and Edfu Temples
Day 6 : Exploring the Valley of the Kings
Day 7 : A visit to the Karnak Temple
Day 8 : Cairo, Khan-el-Khalili bazaar, Al Guri Sufi show
Day 9 : Free time in Cairo. Hotel to airport transfers included
- All accommodation in 5-star hotels
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- All transport and transfers in private AC vehicles
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Overnight sleeper train in private twin-berth cabins (flight upgrades available)
- Services of a local Egyptologist guide for all sightseeing tours
- Felucca support boat with toilet and showers
- Sightseeing tours as detailed in the itinerary
- International flights (available on request)
- Visa fees (available on arrival for most nationalities)
- Travel insurance (compulsory, available on request)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Entrance fees (allow approx. US$45)
- Tipping kitty (allow US$45)
- Drinks, snacks, guide tips and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Any other items not mentioned above
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 35+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Abu Simbel Sun Festival tour. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 55 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 23 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 23 January 2021, a deposit of 250 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 55 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Abu Simbel Sun Festival tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Abu Simbel Sun Festival tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Tours will be reduced to smaller group sizes to protect against COVID-19.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented per local government advice. Frequent disinfection of regularly touched surfaces is highly encouraged. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be ensured in our accommodations and also during transportation.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This package trip adheres to protocols which are in line with the recommendations from the World Travel & Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travel’ guidelines.