- City sightseeing
- Local culture
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 11 days
- tour type Group
- max group size 20
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Take part in a traditional taiko drumming class.
- Learn about the health benefits of the Okinawan cuisine.
- Meet and train with a former sumo wrestler.
- Watch wild snow monkeys bathe in hot springs.
Japan is a feast for the senses, from its electrifying neon-lit neighbourhoods to tranquil hilltop temples. Experience an intriguing mix of modernity and tradition as we explore dazzling Tokyo, imperial Kyoto, and the mountain city of Nagano. Wander Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines, practice sumo wrestling and samurai swordplay, and sample wasabi-infused culinary concoctions. In this fascinating land of anime, snow monkeys, and high-speed trains, there is something to delight every member of the family.
Day 1: Tokyo
Day 2: Tokyo
Day 3: Tokyo
Day 4: Tokyo/Nagano (area)
Day 5: Nagano
Day 6: Nagano
Day 7: Nagano/Kyoto
Day 8: Kyoto
Day 9: Nara
Day 10: Kyoto
Day 11: Kyoto
- Hotels (9 nts), traditional Inn (1 nt)
10 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners
Note: Allow USD390-510 for meals not included.
- Bullet train, express train, local train, ferry, metro, taxi, public bus, walking
- 2 CEOs (Chief Experience Officers) throughout, local guides
- Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Okinawa Cooking Class, Tokyo
- Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Kembu Masters, Kyoto
- Your Family Journeys Moment: Traditional Taiko Drumming Class, Tokyo
- Your Family Journeys Moment: Sumo Wrestling Class, Tokyo
- Your Foodie Moment: Wasabi Farm Visit, Matsumoto
- Your Family Journeys Moment: Ramen Making Class, Kyoto
- Tour of Tokyo including Meiji Jingu Shrine, Asakusa and Harajuku districts
- Traditional taiko Japanese drumming class
- Sumo class led by a former wrestler
- Sleep in a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) and enjoy a kaiseki dinner
- See wild snow monkeys at the Jigokudani Monkey Park
- Visit the Buddhist temple of Zenkō-ji
- Visit Matsumoto castle
- Visit a local wasabi farm
- Walk through the Nishiki Market and Gion Geisha District with your CEOs
- Visit the iconic Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
- Take part in a ramen making class
- Tour Nara including visits to the Tōdaiji Temple, Kasuga Grand Shrine and the Naramachi district
- Visit the famous Kiyomizu-dera Temple
- Japan Rail (JR) pass (7 days)
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Any international flights to Tokyo and from Kyoto are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Japan Family Journey: From Ancient to Modern Times tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 189+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Japan Family Journey: From Ancient to Modern Times tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 22 November 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 22 November 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Japan Family Journey: From Ancient to Modern Times tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Japan Family Journey: From Ancient to Modern Times tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Age Requirement
Minimum age of 7 years for this trip.Does this trip suit me?
- 1. Travel Style : National Geographic Family JourneysTrips for adventure-loving families in search of a meaningful way to discover the world together.
- 2. Service Level : UpgradedQuality accommodations and more inclusions than on other G Adventures tours, like meals, private transport, and activities.
- 3. Physical Grading : 3 - AverageSome tours may include light hiking, biking, rafting, or kayaking in addition to walking.
- 4. Trip Type : Small GroupGroup trips average 12 travellers per departure, depending on the adventure. The maximum is usually no more than 16, but some can be smaller or bigger, depending on the trip.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- This tour requires you to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days before your departure day or have a negative PCR test within 96 hours before your departure day.