- Bicycle tour
- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- The magnificent cave temple at Dambulla
- Climb the rock fortress at Sigiriya for breathtaking views
- Explore the old ruined city of Polonnaruwa
- The fascinating town of Kandy
Although a compact island, Sri Lanka is incredibly diverse. Exploring on two wheels is the best way to see this rural country and to experience the way of life of its friendly people. We travel from ancient cities and the fortress at Sigiriya to the hill country towns of Kandy and Nuwara Eliya, where the cooler temperatures and lush scenery make for a relaxing ride. In the south we visit Yala National Park, where we go in search of leopard, before ending the trip on the beaches of the beautiful south coast. Most of the route is a continuous ride, and transfers are kept to a minimum.In many regions of Sri Lanka the bicycle is the most common form of transport, so travelling by bike yourself is a great way to mix with the people and to gain access to their world. This trip covers a substantial part of the island, taking in as much as possible of the scenic and cultural variety that Sri Lanka has to offer. The combination of visits to the ancient cities, great rides through the beautiful hill country, the varied wildlife, and a chance to relax on one of the many wonderful beaches, will certainly give you a taste for serendipity.
Day 1: Start Sigiriya
Day 2: Ride to Dambulla cave temple; climb Sigiriya Rock
Day 3: Ride to Polunnaruwa; cycle tour of ruins
Day 4: Ride through foothills of spice growing region
Day 5: Ride to Kandy
Day 6: Free day in Kandy
Day 7: Challenging ride through tea estates to Nuwara Eliya
Day 8: Hill country ride to Ella
Day 9: Descent of 1000m, stopping at the impressive rock-cut Buddha statues at
Buduruvagela; to Tissamaharama
Day 10: Morning ride to Kataragama Temple; afternoon drive to Yala N.P. for safari
Day 11: Ride through Bundala N.P. and the lagoon for spectacular birdlife; continue
riding on coast to Hambantota; transfer to Ahangama
Day 12: Free day on beach; optional ride to Koggala
Day 13: Transfer to Colombo via Galle
Day 14: End Colombo
- 11 nights hotels, 2 nights guesthouses, all en suite , All accommodation
- All breakfasts and 10 lunches
- 10 days cycling (including 1 optional ride) with full vehicle support
- All transport and listed activities
- (if booking incl. flights)
- Airport transfers (for group flights only)
- 95% tarmac, 5% unsurfaced road
- Routes mostly follow quiet back roads, with frequent climbs
- Group normally 5 to 16, plus leader and driver. Min age 16 years
- Tour leader throughout
- Local bike hire
- Any international flights to Sigiriya and from Colombo are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Cycle the Back Roads of Sri Lanka tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 98+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cycle the Back Roads of Sri Lanka tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 03 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 03 May 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cycle the Back Roads of Sri Lanka tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cycle the Back Roads of Sri Lanka tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.