Picture an idyllic island heaven. Are you thinking of beautiful sand beaches, bright blue skies, and clear blue waters as far as the eye can see? What you’re picturing is Maldives! Maldives is one of the most beautiful countries on the planet, and the moment you set foot on the island, you will see why! This is a laid back country with stunning views, and great food, and all the opportunities to relax! But before you book your tickets, there is something you need to think about: the best time to visit Maldives.
- High Season: November - April
- Low Season: May - October
- All Seasons: November - April (dry season), May - October (wet season)
- The best time to visit Maldives is between November and April, when the island is enjoying its dry season. There will be sunny days and clear blue skies!
- November to April is also peak season in Maldives, so you can expect some rush during this period, especially around Christmas.
- May to October sees some rainfall and storms, but if you plan it right, you will be able to visit Maldives at great discounts!
- For surfing enthusiasts, March to October is the best time to visit Maldives.
This desert island is the ideal paradise for many - there is a reason it attracts so many honeymooners after all. It is also the perfect holiday destination for families, as there are endless activities for children as well. Maldives has some of the best hotels and restaurants in the world, and you can bet that there won’t be a single dull day the entire time you’re there! Now, all you have to do is find out what is the best time to visit Maldives for you.
If you want dry weather, warm sun and crowds to enjoy your holiday, you would want to visit Maldives between November and March, when the weather is sunny, with little to no rain. If you want to surf, or go scuba diving, and don’t mind the rain, you might want to visit between May and October. The weather in Maldives will be wet and a little chilly during the nights, but you will get great discounts on your stay!
November to March — Dry Season / High Season
You can enjoy the best of Maldives’ tropical climate during this season. The average weather in Maldives will be high, and you will enjoy blue skies and bluer seas. The seas will be really calm, as well, but due to the lack of rain, undersea life will be a little dull. The humidity will be low throughout the season, as well. The months of December and January are the peak seasons in Maldives, so you should be prepared to see a lot of crowds. It’s also advised that you book your travel well in advance, as the more popular resorts get booked out quite early.
- Avg. Temperature: 81 – 82° F / 27 – 28° C
- Rainfall: 50 – 232 mm
- Season: Dry Season
- Highlights: Whether you want to head out to a private island, or just relax on the Hulhumalé Beach, this is the best time to visit Maldives. You can even take a cruise along the coast, and enjoy the beauty of Indian Ocean as well. This is a good time for you to go diving or snorkeling, as the visibility is perfect. November is a good time to spot sharks and manta rays during these diving sessions as well. Keep your eyes open for the beautiful beach-side parties thrown by the resorts - they are incredibly lively and will definitely spice up your vacation!
May to October — Wet Season / Good Season
During this season, the temperatures stay up, but the rain begins. Rarely, there are some storms around this time as well. The rainfall causes a more varied marine life, and the islands themselves become more green and lush during this period. Since this is a low season, the resort prices are at an all-time low, except for in the European summer months (between July and August), when the prices will shoot up. Otherwise, this is when to visit Maldives, for the adventure traveler who wants to travel on a budget.
- Avg. Temperature: 81 – 82° F / 27 – 28° C
- Rainfall: 147 – 243 mm
- Season: Monsoon
- Highlights: Diving visibility might be lower during some months, but you will get great views if you go scuba diving during these months, as the marine life becomes more varied and rich, due to the rains. The waves start breaking, so this is the ideal time to go surfing as well. There are a number of celebrations for you to look forward to - including Independence Day, on 26th July, which is celebrated with parties and parades, and Ramadan (between August - October, depending on the year). Even the more popular resorts will offer great discounts during the low season, so this is when to visit Maldives, if you want to enjoy on a budget.