- 3.72k views
With white sandy beaches, some of the world's best surfing waves and all the leisure activities you could possibly imagine, Bali has something to offer everyone. The island continues to attract visitors from the world over, with the majority of visitors to Indonesia making Bali their island of choice.
Best of all, pretty much any time is the best time to visit Bali, Indonesia! This is because of Bali's unique location just 8 degrees south of the equator, giving the island a warm, humid, pleasant climate throughout the whole year. However, Bali does have two distinct seasons — dry season and wet season — that you will likely want to take into consideration when planning which things to do in Bali. Read on to find out the best time to go to Bali.
|High season:||July – August|
|Low season:||October – March|
|All seasons:||May – October (dry season), November – April (wet season)|
- Bali is also typically very busy during the Easter holidays, as well as during Christmas and New Year.
- If you're wondering about the best time to visit Bali to surf, the waves on the west coast are usually best from April to October, while the east coast is better for surfing from November to March.
- If you plan to travel to Bali in March or April, be aware of Nyepi, the Balinese Day of Silence. This day always falls on the Hindu New Year (decided by the Hindu lunar calendar), and everyone (including tourists) is asked to remain inside all day while making no noise. Beaches and restaurants will be closed. However, the night before is usually a big party!
July and August are some of the busiest months in Bali as those from the Northern Hemisphere are enjoying their summer holidays and those in the Southern Hemisphere, particularly in nearby Australia, are trying to escape the cold winter. However, the island can also become quite crowded during other holidays, even during the low/wet season. New Year's Eve, for example, is one of the biggest Balinese celebrations, with sparkling fireworks, delicious local food, and festivities that run all night.
Some of the best months to visit Bali are April, May, (early) June and September. These months fall just before and after Bali's busiest season, but the weather is still dry, the air less humid, and hotel prices can drop anywhere from 30 to 50%. October is also a good time to visit Bali, but there is an increased chance of rain.
These months are also the best time to travel to Bali if you're looking to enjoy all the water activities the island has to offer, as the waters are crystal clear and far less crowded than in July and August. Other attractions, tours, and the island's roads are also less likely to be busy, so you'll have more time to enjoy what you came to Bali to do.
The crowds tend to drop off as the wet season rolls in but this is still a great time to visit Bali, as you will see.
MAY TO OCTOBER — DRY SEASON / HIGH SEASON
This is definitely the best time to visit Bali, as this is when the little Indonesian island sparkles in all its glory. The sun is fully shining, the ocean is warm and inviting, and the weather is simply perfect for laying out and soaking up some rays. Bear in mind, though, that you won't be guaranteed sunny days, even in the dry season. Bali is a lush, green island that needs water to survive, so you're likely to encounter some brief showers, though not enough to interrupt your plans.
The island can become very busy and crowded during the dry season, particularly in July and August which is Bali's peak travel season. This also means the island is usually more expensive at this time, and you may have to fight for a spot to lay down your towel.
However, the dry season also includes Bali's main shoulder season. Visit during May, June or September to enjoy lower prices and slightly fewer crowds while still enjoying the island's best weather.
- Average temperature: 72 – 88° F / 22 – 31° C
- Rainfall: 40 – 60 mm
- Season: Dry season
- Highlights: The dry season is the best time to travel to Bali if you're looking to enjoy the many outdoor activities on offer there. It's particularly perfect for surfing and beach days. With limited rainfall and pleasant temperatures, you're sure to be spending all your time exploring nature.
NOVEMBER TO APRIL — WET SEASON / LOW SEASON
While the wet season isn't necessarily the best time to go to Bali for its beaches and scuba diving, there is still plenty to do when the island is at its greenest. There are so many indoor activities and attractions, such as museums, spas, temples and caves - and you won't even have to wait in long queues to get inside!
You may want to give the beach a miss during the wet season, as the water often carries garbage and debris down to the coast, which often doesn't get cleaned up until the high season approaches. The water also tends to be less clear. Don't forget your bug spray as mosquitoes love wet season!
- Average temperature: 73 – 86° F / 23 – 30° C
- Rainfall: 70 – 90 mm
- Season: Wet season
- Highlights: This is the best time to visit Bali if you're not fond of crowds and want your holiday to a little bit more secluded and peaceful. While you might encounter some heavy rainfall during the day, most tours and activities continue to run. Best of all? This is a good time to visit Bali on a budget, as many hotels, restaurants and attractions offer discounts to attract visitors. If you're lucky enough to be visiting Bali for New Year’s, then you are in for one great party!