- 119 views
- ~ mins read
On a trip to Tanzania in August, one can experience the true beauty of the country unfettered. Though officially a winter month, it can easily pass for summer or spring time. The skies are clear and temperature pleasant throughout. No wonder, Tanzania in August receives travelers from around the world. The month is perfect for wildlife sightings in the Serengeti National Park, enjoying the beaches of Zanzibar, and climbing Mount Kilimanjaro—the highest mountain of Africa.
- Dominic Heige
- From Greece
Tanzania’s weather in August is largely temperate, ranging anywhere between 17°C and 28°C. Rain is also scarce during this time of year. With pleasant weather and ample daylight hours, Tanzania in August is a perfect destination for an African getaway.
For a seasonal overview, check out our article on the best time to visit Tanzania.
Weather in Tanzania in August - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||31||31||31||30||28||29||27||28||29||30||30||30|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||23||22||22||22||20||19||18||17||17||19||21||22|
|Avg Daily (°F)||88||88||88||86||83||85||81||83||85||86||86||86|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||74||72||72||72||68||67||65||63||63||67||70||72|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||90||120||170||240||210||40||30||30||20||80||130||100|
|Avg Daily (°C)||27||28||29|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||18||17||17|
|Avg Daily (°F)||81||83||85|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||65||63||63|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||30||30||20|
If you have planned a trip to Tanzania in August, you signed up to enjoy a holiday alongside other travelers. As this is part of the peak tourist season, Tanzania has many sights and activities lined up for visitors in August. Here are some perks of visiting Tanzania in August:
- Everything and anything: The tourist rates in Tanzania in August may be a little high because of the peak season, but it has its upsides—everything is open. This means you will have plenty of places to visit and sights to see. No place is off-limits.
- Trekking season: As the weather is dry and relatively cool, August in Tanzania is the perfect time for hiking. The trails may be filled with travelers, but they are not crowded enough for you to not go. This is also a great time to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Mwaka Kogwa: Mwaka Kgwa is a celebration of the Shirazi New Year. It features banana stalk fights, which is believed to chase away the negative energy from the past year. The festival starts at the end of July and lasts till August.
- Wildlife sightings: Tanzania’s weather in August is just about perfect to go on a safari. Vegetation is thinner due to low rainfall around this time of year, making it easier to spot wild animals. Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara, and Tarangire are some of the popular national parks in the country.
- Beach fun: Although August is part of the winter season in Tanzania, the weather is still warm enough for a beach holiday. Head to Zanzibar, where you can find many world-class beach resorts. Underwater visibility is also high during this season, making it perfect for diving and snorkeling.
If you are traveling to Tanzania in August, surely you cannot miss out on the safari experience. The animals are often out in search of water because of the dry season making it easy to spot them. In addition, the vegetation is thinner, thereby increasing the chances of easily spotting wildlife.
The pristine Serengeti National Park is arguably the most popular safari destination in the whole of Tanzania. But owing to the high season, safari fees can be somewhat on the pricier side and there is also the tourist crowd to contend with. You can save some bucks and avoid the crowd by visiting the Ruaha National Park or the Selous Game Reserve instead.
Bird watchers should check out Lake Natron to have a swell time with the flamingos. The beautiful clash of colors with the mineral water makes for an unforgettable sight.Hikers can always go on one of the many trails to Mount Meru.
Meanwhile, beach lovers can head to Zanzibar, where white sandy beaches and inviting waters await. The archipelago off the coast of East Africa is known world over for its stunning beaches, pristine waters and water activities, like snorkeling and scuba diving.
August in Tanzania offers the ideal season to enjoy outdoor activities to the fullest. Many tourists plan to visit the country during this season to enjoy the natural attractions and unwind from the stress of their daily lives. Tanzania in August has something for everyone, wildlife lovers to adventure enthusiasts to seaside frolickers.