- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Spot mysterious geishas in Kyoto's Gion district
- Experience cherry blossom season or beautiful autumn colours
- Watch the famous snow monkeys bathing in hot springs
- Take the incredible high speed 'bullet train'
Ancient wooden temples, raked-pebble Zen gardens and chanting Buddhist monks juxtaposed with space-age towers, neon lights and bullet trains; Japan’s captivating blend of old and new is legendary. As we explore the southern and western stretches of Honshu, Japan's largest island, we discover the country's unique culture amongst the serene shrines and gardens of Nara and Kyoto and the rarely visited mountainous heartland of castles and spas. Our last stop is the vast and futuristic capital city of Tokyo: sprawling, inimitably busy, welcoming and extraordinary.
The shrines, temples and breathtaking scenery were memorable but so was enjoying traditional Japanese restaurants and being introduced to a vast selection of street food.”
Day 1: Start Kyoto
Day 2: Visit Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion), Ryoanji temple and Nijo castle; followed
by Nishiki Market and historic Gion
Day 3: Day trip to Nara, ancient capital of Japan. Visit impressive UNESCO temples
including Toda-ji, housing the world's largest bronze statue of the Buddha
Day 4: Free day in Kyoto; relax in one of the many zen gardens, walk the popular
Philospher Path or experience a traditional tea ceremony
Day 5: Day trip to Hiroshima; visit Peace Memorial Park and the pretty island of
Day 6: Travel from Kyoto to Takayama, a traditional old town set amid the 'Japanese
Alps'; visit the Hida Folk Village
Day 7: Orientation tour in Takayama and free day to explore its peaceful shrines and
Day 8: On to the mediaeval village of Tsumago; short leisurely walk on the Nakasendo
trail; train to Matsumoto
Day 9: Visit the famous Matsumoto Castle and travel by train to spa town of
Yudanaka; soak in a hot spring
Day 10: See the famous Snow Monkeys before travelling by train to Tokyo; evening
Day 11: Optional trip to Hakone and Mount Fuji or to the lovely seaside town of
Day 12: A full day city tour of Tokyo including the Senso-ji Temple
Day 13: Free day for further exploration; optional karaoke farewell night
Day 14: End Tokyo
- 10 nights hotels and 3 nights ryokans/minshukus (traditional Japanese guesthouses) , All accommodation
- 3 breakfasts and 3 dinners
- 14 days land only / 16 days flight inclusive
- Travel by train, bus, metro, ferry and private minibus
- All transport and listed activities
- (if booking incl. flights)
- Group arrival transfer (for group flight)
- Sightseeing on foot and 2 short daywalks
- Group normally 6 to 18, plus leader. Min age 16 yrs
- Special cherry blossom and autumn colours departures
- Free departure transfer by shuttle service (must be booked in advance before trip commences with Exodus and is subject to availability)
- Japan Rail Pass
- Any international flights to Kyoto and from Tokyo are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Ancient & Modern Japan tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 209+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ancient & Modern Japan tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 598 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 61 days before departure. For any departures within 10 September 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Ancient & Modern Japan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ancient & Modern Japan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.