Looking for available travel experts
Mustang, the former Himalayan kingdom, only opened for trekking in 1991, and is considered to be a last bastion of Tibetan culture. If you are looking for a very cultural trek having stunning treeless barren landscapes with yellow and grey rolling hills eroded by the wind, similar to the Tibetan Plateau, the Upper Mustang trek is a great option!
In common usage Mustang refers to the arid, Tibetan-like region, known to its inhabitants as Lo. Seven hundred years ago Mustang was a bustling place. It was a centre of Buddhist scholarship and art, and very likely the easiest connection between the salt deposits of Tibet and the cities of the Indian subcontinent.
The Mustang trek will take you through Upper Mustang, a restricted area, which previously only allowed some 200 trekkers through annually. While the trail is amazing, its rural and barren landscapes are also not for the faint hearted. The trek itself does not go to extremely high elevations and is not physically very tough, but relentless afternoon winds can be a challenge. Because of the winds and lack of sufficient water, camping will be done in villages, which are not always conveniently spaced. Some trekking days will thus be relatively long and others relatively short. These are, however, the conditions if you want to experience the starkly beautiful and highly cultural land of Mustang, a trek which is highly recommended.
|Upper Mustang - Trek Facts|
|Trek Difficulty:||Level 3 - Medium|
|Trek Duration:||14 Days|
|Max Altitude:||4200 Meters|
Guesthouses / Lodges
|Transport To/From Trek:||
The below is a sample itinerary. It may vary slightly depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- Day 01: Bus from Kathmandu - Pokhara
- Day 02: Flight from Pokhara to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni - 2,858 m
- Day 03: Kagbeni - Chele - 3,050 m
- Day 04: Chele - Syanbochen - 3,475 m
- Day 05: Syanbochen - Ghaymi 3,520 m
- Day 06: Ghaymi - Charang - 3,500 m
- Day 07: Charang - Lo Manthang 3,700 m
- Day 08: Exploration day at Lo Manthang
- Day 09: Lo Manthang - Dhakmar - 3,810 m
- Day 10: Dhakmar - Ghiling - 3,810 m
- Day 11: Ghiling - Chhusang 2,700 m
- Day 12: Chhuksang - Jomsom
- Day 13: Flight back to Pokhara
- Day 14: Bus back to Kathmandu
Upper Mustang - Safety considerations
All trekking agencies available at bookmundi.com take safety seriously and are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback. The trekking agencies will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting about the Mustang trek.