- 114 views
Laos is a small, landlocked country in Asia that often gets overlooked in favor of its more famous neighbors. However, seasoned travelers know that Laos is a gem of a country - one where adventure awaits in every nook and corner. It is a laidback country where you will be able to regain your perspective on life, and feel refreshed and rejuvenated! In order to do all of this, you need to know the best time to visit Laos. If you don’t know when the weather in Laos is ideal, you might not be able to enjoy everything that the country has to offer!
- High Season: November - March
- Low Season: April - June
- All Seasons: July - August (fall), September - October (monsoons), November - March (spring), April - June (summer)
- The best time to visit Laos is between November and March, when the weather is pleasant throughout the entire country, even though it might be slightly chillier in the mountains.
- July to August is also a really good time to visit Laos, but you might face some extra crowds, as this is a popular time for tourists coming in from Europe and Northern America.
- September to October is a low season, due to the excessive rainfall that might curb all your tourist dreams, but there are some beautiful cloud formations and lush greenery waiting for you, if you do choose to travel during this season.
From the laid-back capital of Vientiane, to the lush green mountains in Phongsali, Laos is a country filled with adventure. It is still an underappreciated gem, so you will be able to explore a lot of new places, without having to worry about the commercialization of the same.
But when traveling here, you have to keep in mind that Laos’ climate is extremely varied, so you will have to pick when to visit Laos, depending on what you prefer! The best time to visit Laos is between November and March, when the weather is beautiful, and there is little to no rain. The temperatures are moderate, and the humidity is bearable too, making it easy for you to explore one of Laos’ many cultural offerings, or even set off on a trek. This is definitely the best season for you to visit!
The weather in Laos is pretty good in July and August as well. The summer heat tapers off, and the weather becomes a lot more pleasant. This is a good season, but one that sees a lot of crowds. Since this is the peak holiday season for tourists from Europe and Northern America, you can expect a peak in the prices of travel and accommodation, so it is advisable that you book in advance!
July and August — Fall / Good Season
This is a good season to travel to Laos, as the weather is pleasant, even though it will be wet and humid in certain parts. The emerald green landscape is a view to behold, and you will be able to enjoy it only during this season. The rivers and waterfalls are usually brimming with water around this time as well. It might be difficult for you to access the more remote parts of Laos due to the rain, though.
- Avg. Temperature: 73 – 90° F / 23 – 32° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 120 mm
- Season: Fall
- Highlights: This is high season for backpackers from Europe and Americas, especially students, so it is recommended that you book your accommodation in advance. The weather in Laos is absolutely beautiful during this period, even though there will be some rains. Head over to the Bolaven Plateau, or to Pakse to view the beautiful falls in the 4000 Islands. Vang Vieng also looks stunning during this season, as the lush green scenery makes everything look wonderful.
September to October — Monsoon / Low Season
This is peak monsoon season throughout the country, as the rain continues to fall from the previous months, making it difficult to access the more remote areas. Towards October, the drier weather returns, but the temperature starts dipping as well. This is a low season, so there will be little to no crowds, and you can enjoy discounted prices on travel and accommodation.
- Avg. Temperature: 72 – 88° F / 22 – 31° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 50 – 100 mm
- Season: Monsoon
- Highlights: September and October might be really wet and humid, especially in Luang Prabang and Vientiane, but if you are intent on traveling to Laos during this period, you should explore Vang Vieng and Muang La, as the monsoon looks great there. There are a number of festivals you can enjoy during this period as well. In September and October, you can partake in Boun Khao Padabdin and Boun Ok Phansa, which are boat racing festivals on the Mekong River, commemorating the dead. The Naga Rocket festival is a unique festival in the Bolikhamxay Province, where you can see unexplained, multi-coloured fireballs on the water’s surface!
November to March — Spring / High Season
This is definitely the best time to visit Laos. The monsoon comes to an end, and the dry conditions make the entire country accessible - including the more secluded areas in the north. The temperature is warm, and comfortable, and the humidity drops as well. It might still get cold in the nights, especially if you’re traveling to the mountains, or exploring the river.
- Avg. Temperature: 59 – 91° F / 15 – 33° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 10 – 30 mm
- Season: Spring
- Highlights: This is when to visit Laos if you want to go to Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Luang Namtha, Phongsali, or Muang la, for the weather conditions are ideal. November to January is the best time to take a cruise along the Mekong River. If you’re looking for uniquely Laos experiences, you don’t have to look far either. The Luang Festival in Vientiane in November (where you can see a gathering of thousands of monks), or Boun Ma Kha Bu Saar Festival in February will give you a glimpse of the local religious activities. You can also take part in the Wat Phou Festival, where there are processions and boat races held across the country, in February!
April to May — Summer / Low Season
There are slim chances of rain during this season. This is not when to visit Laos if you cannot handle high temperatures and humidity, as the temperatures will start to soar. The river level will dip, and the waterfalls will also become rather sparse. However, the low season brings lower prices for accommodation and transport, which might be an allure for some!
- Avg. Temperature: 72 – 91° F / 22 – 33° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 40 – 70 mm
- Season: Summer
- Highlights: This might be a low season in terms of exploration, but there are still a lot of fun things for you to do. Join in on the countrywide New Year celebrations in April, when the Boun Pi Mai Festival is celebrated. You can also join in on the Boun Bang Fai, or the Rocket Festival in May and June, where they launch homemade fireworks across the country. There will be a number of activities in Vientiane and Luang Prabang as well, so you won’t get bored!
Travelling to Laos? Chat with a local travel specialist in Laos who can help organize your trip.