Here are some of the most popular sights and activities in the Argentinean section of Patagonia.
- Perito Moreno Glacier — the most accessible of all of Patagonia’s glaciers and by far the most impressive.
- Mount Fitz Roy — a daunting, jagged mountain, which offers the daring a notoriously difficult summit climb as well as some milder day hikes.
- Los Glaciares National Park — home to the Perito Moreno Glacier as well as a number of other glaciers and glacial lakes.
- Beagle Channel — a much photographed and exceptionally beautiful strait that runs between the main island of Tierra del Fuego and some of the other, smaller islands.
- Cerro Torre — the neighbour of Mount Fitz Roy, is located in one of the Patagonian ice fields and is equally dramatic in terms of appearance.
- The Glaciarium Museum of Patagonic Ice — a striking building filled with interesting information about the surrounding glaciers
Don’t be caught unawares on your travels. Take a look at our list of simple tips to make sure you are fully aware of what to expect on your trip to Patagonia.
- Take as many boat rides as you can whilst in Argentinean Patgonia. A lot of what is on offer is in and around the water so boats give you an excellent vantage point.
- Don’t even try camping if you don’t have the proper equipment. This means thick sleeping bags and a very sturdy tent.
- Don’t be afraid to try hitch-hiking. It is far more common in Patagonia than you would think and it gives you a chance to mingle with some locals.
- Learn some basic Spanish before you go. This will help you so much during your travels and it’s not too hard to learn.
- Pack for every kind of weather. Patagonia is known for having extremely variable weather with rain, sun and snow often all occurring in the same day. Please check up on the best time to visit Patagonia before planning for your tour.
- You don’t need a visa to visit Chile from Argentina for up to 90 days. Simply take your passport with you to the border and you will be allowed to cross from Argentina into Chile.
For more trip ideas, check out our tours in Argentina.