Oman - Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
As the oldest independent state in the middle east, Oman and its people are incredibly proud of the country's heritage and modern progress. A land of impressive sand dunes, bustling souks and markets, and impressive architecture (including the famous Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque), Oman is an Arabian paradise. Rich in history and natural beauty, Oman is a destination with plenty to offer its visitors.
- Take a dhow (Arabian boat) cruise across the Khor ash Sham (look out for dolphins!)
- Roam the grounds of Khasab Castle
- Haggle your way through Old Muttrah Souk in Muscat
- Go off-road driving in Wadi Bani Khalid, one of Oman's most popular wadis (a ravine that is dry in non-rainy seasons)
- Experience the unique design of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
- Take in a show (or simply enjoy the architecture) at the Royal Opera House in Muscat
- Camp overnight on the South Summit of Jebel Shams
- As with many countries in the Middle East, members of the opposite sex are expected to avoid eye contact and touching. Members of the same sex greet each other with a kiss on both cheeks, or on the nose.
- Whether you're looking to buy anything from spices to gold jewellery, be sure to not miss Oman's incredible souks. Haggling is expected - know what you're willing to pay and get ready to ask for it (you’ll get better with practice).
- While you may see two men holding hands in public, this is a sign of close friendship in Oman. Homosexuality is illegal in this country.
- While you should certainly pack your swimsuit to take advantage of Oman's many crystal-clear wadis, you should always dress conservatively outside the water. This means covering your knees and shoulders.
- Coffee aficionados must try Omani coffee, flavoured with spices in lieu of milk and sugar and often served with dates.
Oman has seasonal weather so please do check up on the best time to visit Oman before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in Oman, do check out our Oman Travel Guide for more information.