|Area:||264 square kilometers|
|Altitude:||4,500 to 5,800 meters|
|Location:||Ngorongoro Crater, 180 kilometers west of Arusha|
|Common animal sightings:||Giraffes, wildebeest, cheetah hippopotamus, lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, black rhino|
|Common bird sightings:||Flamingo, great white pelican, Jackson’s Turaco, Usambara Weaver, Hildebrandt's Spurfowl|
- Traverse the steep slopes to the Ngorongoro Crater’s lush floor to encounter a thriving ecosystem with an impressive concentration of wildlife.
- Embark on game drives to spot the Big Five and other wildlife as a part of your Tanzania safari experience.
- See the endangered black rhinos grazing in their protected habitat on a Ngorongoro Crater safari.
- Gaze upon the mesmerizing sight of millions of pink-hued flamingos congregating at Lake Magadi.
- Venture into Olduvai Gorge in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area to see hominid fossils that date back to about 3.6 million years ago.
- Embark on a guided night drive into the Lerai Forest to attempt to find ever-elusive and nocturnal hunting leopards.
- Meet the Maasai herders and learn about their age-old traditions and their relationship with the wildlife.
- Plan your Ngorongoro Crater tour during the dry season (June to September) when wildlife sighting conditions are at their best. If you want to witness the migrating wildebeests, plan your trip in December.
- Opt for guided safari walks around the adjacent wilderness area.
- Choose an early morning game drive to witness the vibrant wildlife activity within the Ngorongoro Crater.
- Bring a pair of high-quality binoculars to spot distant wildlife and birdlife.
- Dress appropriately for your Ngorongoro Crater safari bot to adjust to the weather conditions and blend into the surrounding.
The animals in the Ngorongoro Crater will be within the crater throughout the year, so you can see them regardless of when you visit.The weather is good during the peak season (July - October), with little to no rainfall. However, a large number of tourists visit during this period, and it can get crowded at times.To avoid the crowd and get a quiet experience, you can visit Ngorongoro Crater during the low season (January - April). However, heavy rainfall may dampen your plans to some extent. For a more detailed overview, check out our best time to visit Tanzania guide.
For inspiration on destinations to include on your Tanzania trip itinerary, check out our Tanzania guide. You can also contact our local tour specialists to plan a customized trip to Tanzania.