- 699 views
- ~ mins read
The weather in Greece in June is warm enough for a proper beach vacation. The country sees very little rain during this time of year, the skies are a beautiful blue and you can enjoy long, bright days. If you visit Greece at the beginning of the month, you are unlikely to encounter massive crowds, since the peak summer rush starts around the end of the month.
Make the most of your stay in Greece in June with visits to destinations like Santorini, Naxos, and Milos. Admire the archaeological wonders of Athens; Explore Thessaloniki and find out why it, with its strong Ottoman influences, is a place like no other; and enjoy the brilliant food and wine scene of Tinos, an island in the Cyclades archipelago.
- Alexandra Donovan
- From Wales
June is the first summer month in Greece and is characterized by warm or hot days, little possibility of rain, and lovely blue skies. In short, it is just the weather for swimming off the coast. The average temperature in Athens during this period ranges from 21°C to 28°C, while in Santorini, the mercury can climb as high as 26°C (the minimum is 19°C).
For a seasonal overview, check our travel guide on the best time to visit Greece.
Weather in Greece in June - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||13||14||17||20||25||30||33||34||29||24||19||15|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||7||7||9||12||16||21||24||24||20||16||12||9|
|Avg Daily (°F)||56||58||63||68||77||86||92||94||85||76||67||59|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||45||45||49||54||61||70||76||76||68||61||54||49|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||57||47||41||31||23||11||6||6||14||53||58||98|
|Avg Daily (°C)||25||30||33|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||16||21||24|
|Avg Daily (°F)||77||86||92|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||61||70||76|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||23||11||6|
June is one of the most popular months to visit Greece. Below are a few reasons why you should head to the country during this time of year.
- Beach party: Greece’s heavenly beaches, like Navagio Beach located on the island of Zakynthos and Messina’s Voidokilia Beach, are at their most welcoming in June. There is not a hint of rain clouds in the sky and the weather is perfect for a dip in the ocean.
- Island-hopping: One of the disadvantages of traveling to Greece in the middle of winter is that some of the top-rated islands are not easily accessible because ferry services are down. However, head for the country in June and you can discover stunning islands like Corfu, and Cephalonia.
- Less footfall: If you head out to discover Greece in the first half of June, you will not encounter the full blast of the tourist rush, which starts in the last week of the month. Plus, you can also get discounts on hotels and airfares.
- Road trip: Summer days are long in Greece, making June the perfect time for a multi-day road trip. Some top choices include the 215-kilometer road trip from Athens to Patras and an epic, 1,250-kilometre road trip from Athens to Olympia.
- Festive delights: Traveling to Greece in June means that you get the chance to participate in some unique and exciting festivals. These include the Athens and Epidavros Open-Air Festival, which features plenty of theater, music, and dance performances in stunning venues like the Acropolis of Athens, and European Music Day, which is famous for its classical and orchestral music performances. Along with these, there is also the Miaoulia Festival, which takes place on the Saronic island of Hydra and sees a weekend full of parades, concerts, and dances.
There are lots of exciting things to see and do in Greece in June. Exploring Athens is one of the first things to do for most travelers visiting the country and its highlights are worth discovering. Just in case you find it hot in the city during the daytime, opt for an evening tour instead. Get awed by the towering columns of the Parthenon and catch a play at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus in the city’s acropolis. Visit the birthplace of democracy in Agora and feast your eyes on the world’s finest collection of Greek antiquities in Athens’ National Archaeological Museum.
Discover Delphi and its heritage sites, located some 160 kilometers outside the capital city, with June being an opportune time to do so. Delphi’s temple and romantic mountainside ruins will transport you to a long-forgotten past. The month of June is also ideal for island-hopping and among dozens of popular islands in the country, make sure to visit Santorini. Enjoy the sight of crescent cliffs rising more than 300 meters and a cluster of towns with whitewashed houses as you approach the island. While there, you might want to go on a catamaran cruise around the island, swim in the crystal-clear waters of Red Beach and White Beach, and enjoy sunset views from the top of a hill. This month also signals the start of the party season across the country and the island of Mykonos, with its pretty beaches, busy nightlife and a delightful maze of narrow streets is just the place to get in the groove.
You will need a good pair of shoes for all the walking you will do while exploring Athens’ cultural treasures and shades to guard against the summer glare while island-hopping during your stay in Greece in June. Other than that light cotton or linen outfits will do the job.
June is one of the most popular months for travelers in Greece. We highly recommend a 7-day stay in Greece. If you need more information on how long to stay in the country, check out our guide on how many days you should spend in Greece. Our local travel experts can help you prepare a personalized itinerary based on your requirements.