Switzerland, the playground of Europe, might be a small country but it packs a lot of sights and adventures. Whether you spend 7 days or 10 days in Switzerland, you are in for a treat. This handy Switzerland travel guide will help you maximize your time in the land of milk and honey and decide how many days to spend in Switzerland.
If you are wondering when is the best time to visit Switzerland, then you are in luck. Switzerland is a year-round destination, there is always something to see or do here no matter when you visit. If you are traveling to Switzerland in September, sip on some fine wine as the vineyards put on an autumn display or wait a month and take part in harvest festivities in Switzerland in October. On the other side of the spectrum, you can visit Switzerland in April when spring is in full swing and you can celebrate Easter in Swiss fashion.
Switzerland tours take you past innovative cities and storybook villages and all the way up the roof of Europe. You will indulge in the finest cuisine, breathe the freshest air, and soak in the most awe-inspiring views in Europe. Have a look at our Switzerland Travel Guide to get in-the-know as you start to plan your visit.
Top Destinations in Switzerland
Discover the highlights of Switzerland.
Explore the Large Urban Center of Zurich
Switzerland’s largest city is polished and refined but maintains its old-world charms. From window shopping for luxury goods in Bahnhofstrasse to appreciating fine art at Kunsthaus Zurich, you will have no shortage of things to do here. View Tours
Discover the Captivating Sights of Zermatt
Uncover the breathtaking charm of Zermatt through captivating sightseeing tours. Explore the picturesque Alpine landscapes, marvel at the iconic Matterhorn, and embrace the allure of this mountain paradise with its rich history and natural wonders. View Tours
Experience Unforgettable Boat Rides in Basel
Embark on unforgettable boat rides in Basel, Switzerland. Cruise along the Rhine River, taking in the picturesque cityscape and historic landmarks. Enjoy the soothing waters and stunning views, creating cherished memories of your time in Basel. View Tours
Switzerland at a Glance
Quick facts about Switzerland .
Bern is the capital of Switzerland. It is a surprisingly small capital but it was chosen in this important role around 200 years ago to avoid a concentration of power in larger cities.
41,285 km². This landlocked country is just about the size of New Jersey, but it is home to some beautiful lakes, villages and mountains.
+41. If you want to call in Zurich, just add 43 after the country code followed by the phone number.
The currency of Switzerland is the Swiss Franc. The currency code is CHF. Although Switzerland does not use the Euro like the rest of Europe, you can use Euros at most major department stores, hotels, restaurants, and souvenir shops. Cards are widely accepted and there are ATMs available, many of which do not charge fees.
Zurich Airport is the main airport in Switzerland. It is located about six miles from the city center. CODE: ZRH CLOSEST CITY: Zurich
Switzerland is part of the Schengen Zone and many travelers are allowed to enter the area for 90 days. If you are unsure, we recommend that you check the country-specific travel advisories set up by the Swiss government.
Switzerland has four official languages: French, Italian, German, and Romansh. Many people speak English too and it is easy for tourists to get around using English or any of the official languages.
Phone 112 for all emergencies in Switzerland. You can phone this number with a foreign SIM and without credit on your phone.
Switzerland has some of the cleanest drinking water in the world. In every city, you will find hundreds of drinking water fountains.
When to visit Switzerland
Read the below travel guides to find the best time to visit Switzerland.
- Jan Avg Daily: 2 ° C Avg Nightly: -2 ° C
- Feb Avg Daily: 6 ° C Avg Nightly: -2 ° C
- Mar Avg Daily: 11 ° C Avg Nightly: 1 ° C
- Apr Avg Daily: 15 ° C Avg Nightly: 3 ° C
- May Avg Daily: 20 ° C Avg Nightly: 7 ° C
- Jun Avg Daily: 21 ° C Avg Nightly: 11 ° C
- Jul Avg Daily: 24 ° C Avg Nightly: 13 ° C
- Aug Avg Daily: 23 ° C Avg Nightly: 13 ° C
- Sep Avg Daily: 20 ° C Avg Nightly: 10 ° C
- Oct Avg Daily: 14 ° C Avg Nightly: 7 ° C
- Nov Avg Daily: 7 ° C Avg Nightly: 2 ° C
- Dec Avg Daily: 4 ° C Avg Nightly: -1 ° C
Best Time To Visit Switzerland
Switzerland has been one of the most popular tourist destinations for many reasons. The snow-capped peaks, the stunning vistas, endless snow sports, or just relaxing by a roaring fire with a cup of world famous Swiss hot chocolate or cheese fondue in hand ...Read more
Switzerland in September: Weather and Travel Tips
If you hate crowded vacation spots and wish to save money on your trip, you might want to head for Switzerland in September. This month signals the start of fall and is part of a low tourist season in the country. With not many visitors around, the &lsquo ...Read more
Switzerland in January: Travel Tips for Festive Time
Winter in Switzerland is a magical time. It is the peak of the winter season and the country offers some of the best snowboarding and skiing conditions in the world. The mountain resort town of Zermatt is one of the prime locations for snow sports and is ...Read more
How long to stay in Switzerland
Read about the ideal duration to stay in Switzerland.
10 Days in Switzerland: Our Recommendations
Do not be fooled by Switzerland’s size. For this stomping ground of the world’s richest punches way beyond its weight. Give yourself a week if all you want to do is zoom through its idyllic countryside and picture-postcard cities. But for a mo ...Read more
7 Days in Switzerland: Our Recommendations
From the Unesco-recognised Gasterntal, a valley hidden deep in the Alps, to the stunning beauty of Oeschinensee Lake—there is a lot to experience during your seven days in Switzerland. Drive past Swiss cows in the idyllic meadows of Berner Oberland ...Read more
Great Switzerland Itineraries: How Many Days to Spend?
With stunning natural scenery, cities that are magnet to the jet set from the world over and a fairy tale ambiance tying it all together, Switzerland is a country filled with staggering beauty. With the luxurious city of Zurich in the north, the metropoli ...Read more
Switzerland Tour and Holiday Packages
Select the tour type that you are looking for.
group toursSee all group tours in Switzerland
private toursSee all private tours in Switzerland
family tour packagesSee all family tour packages in Switzerland
guided toursSee all guided tours in Switzerland
FAQs for Switzerland
Read the most frequently asked questions and answers about traveling to Switzerland below.
- What is the best month to travel to Switzerland?
- What is the best way to tour Switzerland?
- How many do I need in Switzerland?
- How much does a Switzerland tour cost?
- What are the best places to visit in Switzerland?
Sustainable travel — How to travel through Switzerland responsibly
In line with Bookmundi’s vision, we wish to provide our travelers with a sustainable travel experience through Switzerland. As part of this effort, we carbon-offset any Switzerland tour that you purchase through us. You can read more details about our carbon offsetting efforts.
Here’s what you can do to travel to Switzerland more responsibly:
- Carbon-offset your transport to Switzerland via Finnair. The moment your tour starts in Switzerland, and provided that you have purchased your tour through Bookmundi, we will carbon-offset your tour from its starting point to its ending point.
- The Swiss tourism board has put together a list of sustainable travel tips, including use of public transport as much as possible and supporting sustainable accommodation practices, that you can follow to reduce your carbon footprint.
Switzerland travel tips and insights
- One of the best ways to view the scenery in Switzerland is by train.
- Bring some Swiss Francs with you on your travels as Euros are mostly used in large cities.
- Switzerland is not one the most budget-friendly travel destinations.
- Do not miss out on Swiss hot chocolate.
- Recycling is taken seriously in Switzerland, so find a bin to dispose of your waste.
- The Swiss are very, very punctual. Do not be late.
Ready to customize your Switzerland Vacation
Book your trip when it is perfectly designed and customized, just for you.
- Tomaz Martinek Travel Expert in Croatia & Switzerland
- Veronica Maggi Travel Expert in Italy & Switzerland
- Switzerland trips
- Switzerland budget tours
- Eco tours in Switzerland
- Switzerland guided tours
- Switzerland family tour packages
- Switzerland luxury tours
- Switzerland private tours
- Switzerland self-guided tours
- Switzerland solo trips
- Switzerland tailor-made vacation packages
- Switzerland tours for senior citizens
- Switzerland tours for young adults
- Switzerland group tours
- Switzerland last minute deals
- Switzerland travel deals