Take a laid-back river cruise, stay in a traditional stilt house, and meet people from local communities. Make sure you bring a camera because the region is teeming with Instagram-worthy sights.
- Visit Can Tho, the largest city in the Mekong and a good base for exploring the southern part of the delta.
- See Cai Rang, the largest floating market in the Mekong delta.
- Stay in a homestay in Vinh Long where you can get to know local people and discover how life is lived along the river.
- While away the hours (or days, or weeks) watching the river traffic on a relaxing cruise.
- Visit Tram Chim National Park and observe the cranes and other rare birds.
- The best time to visit the Mekong Delta is in the dry season, between December and May. Floods can disrupt travel at other times of the year.
- People in this region are conservative, so you should dress modestly, covering your knees and shoulders when visiting villages.
- Avoid swimming in the river if you have any open cuts or wounds as you may pick up a parasite.