Looking for available travel experts
If you are looking for a truly remote and adventurous trekking experience, then the Kanchenjunga trek is right trek for you! With its 8,586 m, Kanchenjunga is the world’s 3rd highest mountain, after K2 and Mount Everest. To the locals Kanchenjunga is not any mountain, but the abode of gods who bestow prosperity and goodwill.
Kanchenjunga is situated in far Eastern Nepal and lies within the 2,035 square kilometers Kanchenjunga Conservation Area. This part of Nepal has never been densely populated and neither has it ever received many trekking tourists. The area is therefore an absolute haven for many rare Himalayan species, including snow leopards, red pandas, and blue sheep. This trek delivers true pristine landscapes.
Via the 5,160 m Lapsang La pass the 4 week trek will take you through both the northern and southern base camp of Kanchenjunga. On the entire trail there will be stunning and remote mountain terrain because in addition to the Kanchenjunga peak, four subsidiary summits exceed 8000 m and more than some twenty peaks exceed 7,000 m.
|Kanchenjunga Base Camp - Trek Facts|
|Trek Difficulty:||Level 4 - Difficult|
|Trek Duration:||20 days|
|Max Altitude:||5160 Meters|
|Best Season:||Mar-May, Oct-Nov|
|Transport To/From Trek:||Flight|
The below is a sample itinerary. It may vary depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- Day 01: Flight from Kathmandu to Biratnagar - 81 m - and if available, flight from Biratnagar to Suketar. If no flights are available to Suketar we will take a bus to Phidim and spend the night there.
- Day 02: Suketar/Phidim - Khesewa - 2,120 m
- Day 03: Khesewa - Mamankhe - 1,920 m
- Day 04: Mamankhe - Yamphudin - 2,080 m
- Day 05: Yamphudin - Chitre - 2,965 m
- Day 06: Chitre - Tortongn - 3,010 m
- Day 07: Tortongn - Tseram - 3,870 m
- Day 08: 1 days acclimatisation at Tseram in order to prepare for the coming days crossing of the 4,645 m high Mirgin La pass
- Day 09: Tseram - Mirgin La pass - 4,645 m - Sele La Pass - approx. 4,400 m
- Day 10: Sele La Pass - Ghunsa - 3,595 m
- Day 11: Ghunsa - Khambachen - 4,050 m
- Day 12: Khambachen - Lhonak - 4,780 m
- Day 13: Lhonak - Pang Pema - 5,140 m
- Day 14: Pang Pema - Kanchenjunga North Base Camp - Khambachen 4,050 m
- Day 15: Khambachen - Ghunsa - 3,595 m
- Day 16: Ghunsa - Amjilosa - 2,460 m
- Day 17: Amjilosa - Sekathum - 1,576 m
- Day 18: Sekathum - Chirwa - 1,200 m
- Day 19: Chirwa - Suketar - 2,420 m
- Day 20: Flights back - Suketar - Biratnagar - Kathmandu
Kanchenjunga Base Camp - Safety considerations
All trekking agencies available at Bookmundi.com take safety seriously and are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback. They will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting about the Kanchenjunga trek:
- This is a high altitude trek and therefore careful acclimatisation is needed.
- Most of the Kanchenjunga trekking is done in +4,000 m and without guest houses nearby. Please therefore be sure to bring enough warm clothes, especially during winter season (mid Nov - mid Feb). Your selected trekking agency will brief you in greater detail about this.