Situated North East of Nepal the Dolpo area is vast and covers 15% of Nepal. Hidden away by the lofty Tibetan plateau in the North, Dhaulagiri in the East (the world’s 7th highest mountain at 8,167 m), and mountain passes to the South, this large area is one of Nepal’s hidden gems, one the Upper Dolpo Trek is definitely one of Nepal's yet to be discovered treks.
The beautiful and remote Dolpo trail traverses a variety of landscapes ranging from fertile rice terraces and eye-catching mountainous terrain to barren landscapes. Highly influenced by Tibetan traditions, the Dolpo trek also introduces Tibetan style villages and Bön monasteries. If looking for both a cultural and beautiful trekking experience, Dolpo is a great option.
While the Dolpo trek is truly beautiful, the mystique and uniqueness of the region was probably further made known by 'The Snow Leopard', the award winning novel written by Perter Matthiesssen in 1979, not to mention 'Himalaya', the 1999 Oscar nominated movie.
Being situated in the Shey Phoksundo National Park and only being opened up for tourism in 1989, the remote area of Dolpo is a must-visit for any trekkers looking for a cultural trek of a lifetime.
|Upper Dolpo - Trek Facts|
|Trek Difficulty:||Level 3 - Medium|
|Trek Duration:||21 days|
|Max Altitude:||5250 Meters|
|Best Season:||Mar-May, Oct-Nov|
|Transport To/From Trek:||Flight|
The below is a sample itinerary. It may vary slightly depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- Day 01: Flight from Kathmandu - Nepalgunj
- Day 02: Flight Nepalgunj - Juphal - trek to Dunai 2,150 m
- Day 03: Dunai - Ankhe - 2,660 m
- Day 04: Ankhe - Renje - 3,100 m
- Day 05: Renje - Phoksundo lake 3,600 m
- Day 06: Phoksundo lake - Phoksundo Khola - 3,510 m
- Day 07: Phoksundo Khola - Phoksundo Bhanjyang - 4,400 m
- Day 08: Phoksundo Bhanjyang - Kang La Pass - 5,150 m - Shey Gompa - 4,126 m
- Day 09: Rest and exploration day at Shey Gompa
- Day 10: Shey Gompa - cross the Saldang La Pass - 4,785 m - Namduna - 4,400 m
- Day 11: Namduna - Saldang 3,900 m
- Day 12: Saldang - Sibu - 3,940 m
- Day 13: Sibu - foot of Jeng La Pass - 4,370 m
- Day 14: Foot of Jeng La Pass - Cross Jeng La Pass - 4,850 m - Tokyu - 4,250 m
- Day 15: Tokyu - Dho Tarap 4,090 m
- Day 16: Rest day at Dho Tarap with the opportunity to speak with the local people of Upper Dolpo (also the option to simply continue the trek...)
- Day 17: Dho Tarap - Serkam - 3,600 m
- Day 18: Serkam - Khani Gaon - 2,550 m
- Day 19: Khani Gaon - Tarakot - 2,280 m
- Day 20: Tarakot - Juphal - 2,400 m
- Day 21: Juphal - Nepalgunj
Upper Dolpo - Safety considerations
All trekking agencies available at Bookmundi.com take safety seriously and are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback. The trekking agencies will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting about the Upper Dolpo trek.