Best Time to Visit Kazakhstan
- JAN Avg Daily: 2 °C Avg Nightly: 12 °C
- FEB Avg Daily: 10 °C Avg Nightly: 0 °C
- MAR Avg Daily: 7 °C Avg Nightly: -3 °C
- APR Avg Daily: 16 °C Avg Nightly: 5 °C
- MAY Avg Daily: 22 °C Avg Nightly: 11 °C
- JUN Avg Daily: 26 °C Avg Nightly: 15 °C
- JUL Avg Daily: 30 °C Avg Nightly: 17 °C
- AUG Avg Daily: 29 °C Avg Nightly: 16 °C
- SEP Avg Daily: 23 °C Avg Nightly: 11 °C
- OCT Avg Daily: 16 °C Avg Nightly: 4 °C
- NOV Avg Daily: 6 °C Avg Nightly: -4 °C
- DEC Avg Daily: 1 °C Avg Nightly: -10 °C
- 750 views
You can share the above illustration on your site via this link
Kazakhstan is the ninth largest country and has one of the most unique geographies in the world. It’s a massive state full of natural sites that will definitely blow your mind. Kazakhstan’s historical landscape is kind of barren, and this has put a lot of people off traveling to this rather unique country. But there is something mysteriously captivating about the massive steppes, and the beautiful mountains. If you want to visit the country, you have to think about when to visit Kazakhstan immediately, so that you can plan your travel accordingly!
- High Season: July - August
- Low Season: November - March
- All Seasons: April - June (spring), July - August (summer), September - October (fall), November - March (winter)
- The best time to visit Kazakhstan is between July - August when the weather is perfect throughout the country. This is the peak season and the best time for hikers to visit.
- April - June, and September - October are also decent times to visit Kazakhstan. The steppes are particularly beautiful during this time.
- Winter is biting cold, but if you love skiing, you can head over to the pristine ski slopes at Chimbulak.
The beauty of Kazakhstan is quite underrated. The country is still vastly unexplored, meaning that you can be some of the earliest tourists to experience the beauty of the steppes and the mountains in this central Asian country.
Before you visit Kazakhstan, you have to consider the weather. The weather in Kazakhstan is fairly predictable, as the steppes ensure clear demarcation of the seasons. It gets quite cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. Throughout the year, there is very little rainfall, so you do not have to worry about that.
The best time to visit Kazakhstan is during the summer, between July and August when the weather is great. It does get hot, but not too hot for people to handle. This is the best time for hiking as well.
April to June and September to October are also good months to visit Kazakhstan. This is when to visit Kazakhstan if you want to travel on a budget, and want to avoid the heat. The mountains are lush and beautiful in these months, and by September and October, some ski slopes also open up!
April to June — Spring / Good Season
This is the best time to visit Kazakhstan if you love mild temperatures, and want to avoid the heat. There are fewer people in the country during this season, so you will be able to find discounted tickets and accommodation as well.
- Avg. Temperature: 46 – 78° F / 8 – 26° C (in Almaty)
- Rainfall: 50 – 80 mm
- Season: Spring
- Highlights: The spring weather is ideal for outdoor exploration - all of Kazakhstan awaits you, after all. Head over to Altyn Emel National Park and observe the singing quicksands. You can also go to Burabai, and enjoy the beautiful steppes and mountains of Northern Kazakhstan. This is also when to visit Kazakhstan if you want to explore the Buddhist heritage of the country at Tamgaly Tas. You can even attend Easter mass at the beautiful Zenkov Cathedral in this season! On May 1, National Unity Day is celebrated with parades and festivals celebrating contemporary Kazakh culture.
July to August — Summer / High Season
Kazakhstan has typical Asian weather, which means that it gets quite warm during the summer. The temperature does climb up to around 80° F, but it is possible for you to withstand this weather, especially if you’re up in the mountains. Around this time, the plants will be blooming all around the mountains, and you will be able to start trekking.
- Avg. Temperature: 81 – 88° F / 27 – 31° C (in Almaty)
- Rainfall: 20 – 40 mm
- Season: Summer
- Highlights: The Kazakh mountains offer a unique opportunity for trekkers. These natural trails are pristine and untouched, and will definitely give you the views of a lifetime. Head over to the Tien Shan or Big Almaty Gorge to experience the true Kazakh landscape. At the latter, you will be able to see the melting glaciers, and the beautiful Big Almatinka River as well. You can even trek up the Medeu and Shymbulak mountain complexes, where you can trek and skate to your heart’s content! For an incredibly unique experience, take part in the biker festival, ‘Preserve Balkhash’. You get to do something fun, and contribute towards ecological protection!
September to October — Fall / Good Season
Around September, the summer heat begins to fade away, and autumn weather sets in. The temperatures are rather mild, but there might be some rainfall towards the end of the season. It is highly recommended that you carry a rain jacket with you when traveling during this period.
- Avg. Temperature: 47 – 72° F / 8 – 22° C (in Almaty)
- Rainfall: 30 – 80 mm
- Season: Fall
- Highlights: This is the best time to visit Kazakhstan if you want to avoid crowds and enjoy discounted accommodation and travel. The weather in Kazakhstan is ideal, except for the occasional showers. During this season, the glacier melt is quite high, so you will be able to take part in a lot of water sports on the Almatinka River, such as kayaking, and rafting. This is a good time to visit Almaty and Astana, which you can enjoy, without the crowds! During this season, Kurban Bayram, also known as Eid Al-Adha is celebrated in all the mosques around the country.
November to March — Winter / Low Season
Winters in Kazakhstan get incredibly cold, and the entire country gets buried under the snow for about 100 days or so. You have to make sure that you carry all your warm clothes, and are adequately prepared for the winter before you head out to the steppes. This is not the best time to visit Kazakhstan for those who cannot stand sub-zero temperatures, for sure.
- Avg. Temperature: 25 – 38° F / -4 – 3° C (in Almaty)
- Rainfall: 30 – 70 mm
- Season: Winter
- Highlights: This is when to visit Kazakhstan if you want to ski in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. Shymbulak offers great skiing opportunities. Those who are experienced can head up to the Talgar Pass (3163 meters above sea level). Winters are also the perfect time to experience a traditional Kazakh sauna, which is a place where people bond and escape the cold. If you feel rather adventurous, you can even take part in eagle hunting all around the country!