A visit to Salta and Jujuy means experiencing a different kind of Argentina, one that many tourists overlook in favors of the more popular southern destinations. Located 1,500 kilometers northwest of Buenos Aires, these provinces are known for their otherworldly scenery, quaint colonial towns and thriving local culture. This intriguing blend makes holidays in Salta and Jujuy a perfect choice for every explorer looking to absorb genuine Argentine tradition set amidst breath-taking natural scenery.
- Cerro de los Siete Colores (or the Seven Colors Hills) are nestled just outside of the town of Purmamarca. They are famous for their gorgeous chromatic hues, which are best viewed in the early morning hours.
- Salta is the oldest and most beautiful town in the region. It is characterized with ornate colonial architecture, cozy cafés and open-air markets selling locally made handicrafts.
- Cafayate is the principal wine town in north-western Argentina. This quaint getaway offers a wide range of activities, including wine-tasting, hiking or simply soaking up the atmosphere from the charming central square.
- Salinas Grandes is a vast expanse of salt flat that sits 3,300 meters above ground. Due to its sheer size and blinding color, it makes one of the most awe-inspiring natural sights in the country.
- To catch fantastic views of Salta, take the teleferico (cable car) from the Parque San Martin to Cerro San Bernardo. Here, you will find several viewing points and platforms. This is also an ideal place to have a picnic and admire the romantic sunsets.
- North-western Argentina has the reputation of being one of the best culinary regions in the country. During your visit, make sure to try some of the local specialties; you'll find them served in unpretentious local eateries called comedors.
- Salta is known for production and sale of leather and textile goods at affordable prices, so if you're looking to treat yourself to a new pair of boots, a bag or a poncho, this town is the place to go.
For more options on traveling to Argentina, check our Argentina tours.