- 862 views
- ~ mins read
The weather in Mexico in September is hot and rainy, which means that most tourists tend to avoid traveling to the country during this month. But with a little bit of planning—and by keeping an eye on the weather forecast—you can pack your itinerary with a lot of exciting destinations and activities. For example, despite it being the wet season, not all beaches are inundated. You can still snatch some quiet time on the beaches while on a tour of Cancun and Cozumel Island. September is also an excellent time to visit Mexico City and discover its museums, nightlife, and cuisine. For a culturally unique experience, head for Oaxaca in southern Mexico. You can also enjoy a superb diving experience in the Sea of Cortez during this time of year.
You could not ask for a better time than September to plan a visit to Mexico.
- Georgina Lowe
- From England
Mexico’s weather in September is characterized by hot days and rainfall in some parts of the country, with the added possibility of hurricanes or tropical storms in places like Baja California. On the other hand, the Yucatán Peninsula experiences a pleasant climate during this month, so it is a good time to enjoy the beaches of Cancun. Similarly, although it is warm on the Pacific coast, storms are infrequent. The weather in Mexico City in September is pleasant for the most part with limited rainfall. The capital sees temperatures ranging from a minimum of 11°C to 20.8°C maximum. In Cancun, the average high temperature in September is 30.3 °C and the average lows hover around 27°C.
For a seasonal overview, go through our travel guide on the best time to visit Mexico.
Weather in Mexico in September - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||21||22||24||25||25||24||22||23||23||23||22||20|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||5||6||7||10||11||12||12||12||12||10||7||5|
|Avg Daily (°F)||70||72||76||77||77||76||72||74||74||74||72||68|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||41||43||45||50||52||54||54||54||54||50||45||41|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||20||10||20||30||40||60||40||90||20||20||10|
|Avg Daily (°C)||23||23||23|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||12||12||10|
|Avg Daily (°F)||74||74||74|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||54||54||50|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||40||90||20|
Although it might be a low tourist season, there are some very good reasons to visit Mexico in September. We have listed a few of them below.
- Great deals: Mexico’s tourist rush reduces to a trickle in September. Therefore, most resorts and travel companies slash their prices. This is a great month to travel on the cheap in Mexico.
- Fewer crowds: Whether you want to relax on the white sand beaches of Tulum or soak up the cultural sights of Miguel de Allende, you will not encounter swarms of travelers during your trip to Mexico in September.
- City vibes: Take advantage of the pleasant weather in Mexico City in September and go on specially curated food walks through the city. See the mural ‘The History of Mexico,’ Diego Rivera’s masterpiece, that is housed in the National Palace, and take a boat through the canals and floating gardens of Xochimilco.
- Dive in: September is also a great time for diving and exploring the fantastic marine life around Mexico’s coasts. For an ultimate diving experience, try one of the cenotes on the Yucatán Peninsula. These sinkholes or underground chambers are home to at least a dozen fish species and have extraordinary natural features.
- Festival season: Mexico celebrates its Independence Day on September 16 with parades, fireworks, and other ceremonies. Some of the best places to see these celebrations are Mexico City, San Miguel de Allende, and Guanajuato. Feria Nacional Zacatecas, a three-week event that includes music, entertainment, and theater, is yet another event that you should not miss out on during your trip to Mexico in September. Another festival to watch out for during this month is Fiesta de San Miguel which is held in San Miguel de Allende. This celebration features parades, concerts, and fireworks.
The pleasant weather of Mexico City in September makes it an ideal time to explore the capital. See the city’s grand Palacio de Bellas Artes; marvel at the remarkable pre-Aztec ruins of Teotihuacan, a Unesco World Heritage site; and visit the house of the iconic Mexican artist Frida Kahlo that is now a museum. A tour of the southern city of Oaxaca, yet another must-visit destination, combines distinctive regional vibes with quaint weekly local markets and green hills with hiking and biking trails, all of which make it an excellent September destination. Another culturally rich Mexican city is San Miguel de Allende, a favorite among expats. Also a Unesco World Heritage site, this central Mexican city is known for its well-preserved Spanish architecture, great shopping opportunities, a vibrant art scene, and pleasant weather conditions. September is also the perfect time to discover Mexico’s marine life. Go on a diving tour off Guadalupe Island and Cozumel to see hammerhead and great white sharks. For an otherworldly diving experience, take a plunge into the shimmering waters of the cenotes on the Yucatan Peninsula.
You are likely to encounter rain in Mexico in September. So make sure that you carry a rain jacket along with a sturdy pair of waterproof shoes while heading for the country.
September is a great time to dig deep into the culture of Mexico and explore some of its famous landmarks. Contact our local travel experts to choose the right custom tour to Mexico in September. If you are looking for more tips for your plans, make sure to give our travel guide on how many days to spend in Mexico a look. We would recommend a 10-day stay but if you limited time on your hands, you could opt for a 7-day itinerary.
So, wait for no further and book your trip to Mexico in September.