Ecuador, a lush Amazonian paradise of a country in the heart of Central America, is a country that may not need any introduction. This may be the taste of Latin and Central America that you may have been craving. Rife with cultural heritage and a rich history, allow Ecuador and its call for adventure beckon! You’ll find that Ecuador is not one to disappoint in terms of sheer variety, with many things to offer, from the Volcanoes of Cotopaxi to the lagoons of Quilotoa. Revel in the street art and handicrafts of Otavalo Market or feel enraptured by the Galapagos Islands. Ecuador definitely has something for everyone, making it the perfect destination for all kinds of travelers! With most countries, it may be critical to find out when the weather in Ecuador is just right when you visit. Want to know when to visit Ecuador? Read on to find out!
- High Season: June - September
- Low Season: December - May
- All Seasons: June - September, October - November, December - May.
- The best time to visit Ecuador is between June and September when the sunny days are in surplus, the rains are dying down and towns and attractions continue to appeal to the traveer within you.
- The low season is from December to November with heavy showers and a tropical feel. However, it should be noted that the low season in the Oriente is around April to July when rains are more common than on the mainlands.
Between June and September is when the crowds may be at a frenzy due to it being the high season here in Ecuador. While other regions of Ecuador such as the Galapagos Islands and the Oriente have slightly differing climates, this is the best time to visit Ecuador.
The shoulder seasons, between October to November are also a great time to visit. The weather in Ecuador is usually quite pleasant during these shoulder months, barring occasional showers. Temperatures are also quite cooler, making for pleasant experiences particularly in the highlands. This makes it a good time to visit as the tourist numbers are more controllable, making it easier to get accommodation without booking months in advance.
June to September — High season
The weather in Ecuador can be rather pleasant, veering towards the sunny side. During these months, you can be sure to find surplus sun, with even the Oriente showing a decrease in rainfall. The downside with visiting Ecuador during this time may be the weather in the Galapagos Islands which may lead to slightly rough seas with rainfall. However, despite that, this season is quite popular among tourists who want to explore every nook and cranny of Quito, Ecuador's capital city. The weather surely favors such explorations!
- Avg. Temperature: 55° F / 13° C (in Quito)
- Rainfall: 40 – 70 mm
- Season: Dry / Summer
- Highlights: Quito may be perfect to visit at this time due to the weather. The colonial center of Quito can be gorgeous with maze-like and intertwining roads all leading to a cure for the itch of exploration. Quito is complete with modern hotels and restaurants offering the best of Ecuador on a plate. Quito is also easily accessible making it a suitable base of operations for your Ecuadorian adventure.
December to May — Low Season
December to May is considered a wet season in Ecuador with temperatures dropping and rainfall increasing. One can expect much lower temperatures and cooler days and nights, particularly in the highlands. However, this may not be true along the coastline which might have warmer days and far lesser showers. If the rain and the coolness do not bother you that much, then this time is a good time to visit and get accommodation for throwaway prices!
- Avg. Temperature: 55° F / 13° C (in Quito)
- Rainfall: 60 mm
- Season: Monsoon
- Highlights: Mindo Village may be a perfect destination at this time of the year. A quaint little fishing village on the coast of Ecuador, Mindo Village may be most famous for its proximity to the Reserva Ecologica Manglares Cayapas - Mataje. Mindo village gains its stardom from being without a doubt the birding capital of Ecuador.
October and November — Shoulder Season
October and November can be considered the transition months for Ecuador particularly the highlands. In the highlands, you can expect cooler temperatures and lower temperatures as the weather starts gearing towards winter. However, you can still expect a good amount of sunshine in the mornings and afternoons with cooler nights. There may be chances of showers but not as much as the monsoon seasons. This season can also be considered more of an equilibrium for all parts as these weather conditions are nearly constant even for the Galapagos Islands and the Oriente, with slight variations. This may make this a good season to visit as accommodation may be much easier to find than the season that precedes it.
- Avg. Temperature: 57° F / 14° C (in Quito)
- Rainfall: 70 mm
- Season: Dry
- Highlights: This is may be a good season for you to wander off into the isles of Galapagos. The islands are undoubtedly what bring droves of tourists and travelers to the country every year. Walk amongst some of the most diverse species of flora and fauna as you try to retrace the steps of Charles Darwin and the historic expedition that started a new path in science.