- City sightseeing
- Active and outdoor
- duration 10 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Fully guided
- Footprint carbonneutralCO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- One of the world’s most scenic Rail Journeys
- A Night of Glamping Under Southern Stars
- Carve Your Own Greenstone/Pounamu Pendant
Fall in love with the highlights of this 10 day South Island itinerary that takes you on a circuit of spectacular mountains, lakes, rivers, glaciers, waterfalls and rainforests and gives you the opportunity to enjoy all the bucket list adventures you could wish for.
Created for travellers in their mid-thirties and upwards, on this New Zealand South Island itinerary you’ll visit Christchurch, Queenstown, Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo (and Lake Wakatipu, Lake Mapourika, Lake Hawea, plus more lakes!), the Mackenzie Country, and Franz Josef, plus you’ll get to take one of the world’s greatest train rides! Your comfortable 3–4 star accommodation on tour includes a boutique hotel, a rainforest retreat and even a night staying in a yurt with mountain views.
We’ll travel from the wide plains of Canterbury, through the mountains and lakes of Central Otago, to the glaciers and pristine rainforest of the West Coast via the spectacular Haast Pass. By the end of this New Zealand South Island itinerary, you will have lost count of the number of times you’ve uttered the words: “Wow!”, “So beautiful!” and “It’s breathtaking!”.
You’ll have the opportunity to swim, kayak, jet boat, skydive, hike, bike, horse ride, see kiwis, relax in hot pools, eat and drink like a local, and more.
But only if you want to; this is your trip, and it’s designed to be flexible. Across this 10 day South Island itinerary we include some of the things that we reckon are absolute essentials, but rather than force you into activities you’re not so sure of, we leave the choice up to you. You can pre-book activities that you definitely want to do before the trip starts, and then add more while you’re on tour.
Day 1 Christchurch
Day 2 Christchurch to Ohau (via Lake Tekapo)
Day 3 Ohau to Queenstown
Day 4 Queenstown
Day 5 Queenstown to Wanaka
Day 6 Wanaka
Day 7 Wanaka to Franz Josef
Day 8 Franz Josef
Day 9 Franz Josef to Christchurch
Day 10 Christchurch
- Stay each night in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
- Stay 9 nights in twin-share 3–4 star accommodation: a mix of hotels, motels, lodges, and rainforest retreats.
- Feast on 6 continental breakfasts and 2 dinners.
- Comfortable and air-conditioned bus transport
- Passionate and knowledgeable local Kiwi guide
- Orientation tour of each and every location
- Small groups of maximum 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Take in the stunning Southern Alps and the vast Canterbury Plains aboard the TranzAlpine, New Zealand’s finest inland rail journey.
- Spend one night at Oasis Yurts, Wanaka - the perfect place to relax, unwind and reconnect in the natural environment.
- Cruise through Wanaka on a scenic e-bike (bicycle with electric motor) experience.
- Carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant in Franz Josef.
- Any international flights to/from Christchurch are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Southern Pioneer tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Save US$ 115 today.
- Earn US$ 76+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Southern Pioneer tour. You can cancel the tour up to 45 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 44 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 04 July 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 04 July 2022, a deposit of 63 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 44 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Southern Pioneer tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Southern Pioneer tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Guests are requested to follow the hygiene guidelines from WHO including the regular washing of hands. Hand sanitiser will also be readily available on tour
- Implemented COVID-19 Protocols