Looking for available travel experts
A visit to Tortuguero, charming village nestled on a sand bar island, is a must if you are planning to explore the fascinating national park of the same name. Since this village is a gateway to a reserve of thick tropical rainforests and exquisite wildlife, Tortuguero and its residents remain pointedly dedicated to nature and local tradition. As such, a trip to Tortuguero is not only the most convenient way to discover Costa Rica’s fascinating biodiversity, but also to soak up the rich cultural life of this unique region.
- Tortuguero National Park is nature’s crown jewel of Costa Rica and one of the most popular tourist hotspots on the island. It is famous for being a nesting site for various species of sea turtles; it is also home to many other kinds of exotic animal and plant life.
- Visiting banana plantations is another unique way to explore the region. To discover how this tropical fruit is cultivated, you can book a plantation tour at one of the major banana producers, such as Chiquita or Del Monte.
- The Turtle Museum is a place where you can learn a plethora of interesting facts about Tortuguero’s most famous residents – sea turtles.
- Keep in mind that the turtle nesting season runs from July to October, with August being the peak month. If you want to witness this natural spectacle, try to time your visit during this period.
- The most convenient way to explore the National Park is by boat or canoe. This way, you will be able to navigate through the lush canals and get a better view of the tropical animals.
- Tortuguero National Park can also be viewed aerially. If you book a canopy tour, you will be able to unveil breathtaking views, but also discover many different animals that hide among the thick branches of Tortuguero’s rainforests.