- Bicycle tour
- Kayaking and canoeing
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 12 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 12
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Hike between the preserved post towns of the Nakasendo Way – reconnect with the Edo history on this ancient trail connecting Edo (now Tokyo) and Kyoto.
- Discover one of Japan's best cycling routes the Shimanami Kaido which links Honshu with Shikoku across the scenic Inland Sea and enjoy a cycling and kayaking experience
- Templehop through the historic city of Kyoto with a guided ride past some of the major religious sites in the city a perfect active way to explore this ancient capital.
- The Kumano Kodo is one of only two World Heritagelisted pilgrimage trails in the world. Hike a section of the ancient route, arriving at spectacular Nachi Falls and Nachi Taisha Shrine.
Embark on an insightful cultural (and physical) workout with a 12-day active adventure across Japan’s ancient history, religious sites and natural wonder. Beginning in Tokyo, leave the crowds behind for a hike through post towns dotted along the Nakasendo Way, then continue to the Seto Inland Sea for a biking and kayaking adventure along the Shimanami Kaido. Stop by historic Kyoto before tackling the mother of all pilgrimages along sections of the historic Kumano Kodo. With the opportunity to explore diverse neighbourhoods and experience real hospitality along your way, discover the secrets, past and present, of an enchanting Japan.
Nakasendo / Onomichi (Hiking)
Shimanami Kaido / Onomichi (Cycling & Kayaking)
Koguchi/Kii Katsuura (Hiking)
- Hotel/Ryokan (11 nights)
- 4 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
- Boat , Public Bus , Metro , Bullet Train , Train , Taxi , Walking , Bike , Kayak
- An expert tour leader
- Tsumago - Waki Honjin
- Nakasendo Trail - Magome to Tsumago hiking
- Onomichi - Shimanami Kaido cycling
- Ikuchijima Island- Sea Kayaking
- Kyoto - Fushimi Inari-Taisha
- Kyoto - Gion District walk
- Kyoto - Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion)
- Kyoto - Mt. Daimonji-yama hike
- Kyoto - Kyoto Cycling
- Kyoto - Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Kyoto - Daitokuji Temple
- Shingu - Kumano Hayatama Taisha Shrine
- Kumano Kudo - Hiking
- Kumano Kodo - Kumano Nachi Taisha
- Toba - Mikimoto Pearl Island Museum
- Kii Katsuura - Tuna Market
- Osaka - Dotombori District walking tour
- Any international flights to Tokyo and from Osaka are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Japan: Hike, Bike & Kayak tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 162+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Japan: Hike, Bike & Kayak tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 16 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 16 July 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Japan: Hike, Bike & Kayak tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Japan: Hike, Bike & Kayak tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- The active nature of this trip means that the fitter you are, the more you will be able to enjoy it. It is expected that travellers joining this trip will have had some experience hiking and cycling before joining this tour, and can swim. On some hikes you will need to be able to carry your overnight pack on the trail because we will forward your luggage to the next destination. Hiking distances vary from 3-15km per day with no more elevation change than 60-900m on one hike and cycling distances are around 30 km each. Please see the details of hiking, cycling and kayaking activities in each day’s itinerary.
- The hikes on the Kumano Kodo and Nakasendo Way include sections rather than the whole trail, which gives you an experience of the trails without needing to commit to multiple days of strenuous trekking.
- In some destinations you may be staying in a ryokan, which is a Japanese-style inn with shared facilities. It’s a great taste of tradition, but not everyone finds futon mattresses on the tatami mat floor, small bathrooms and proximity to other guests as comfortable as more Western-style hotels and beds. Read more about ryokans in our ‘Accommodation’ section of the Essential Trip Information.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers
Finish point description
Joining point description