Looking for available travel experts
Senegal, the westernmost nation of Africa, is a stable and diverse country. Visitors to this African jewel enjoy nightlife, relax on magnificent beaches, witness rich biodiversity and much more. Dakar, Senegal’s capital, is the bustling city with attractive beaches in its vicinity. On a trip to the country, you can find mountains with natural beauties, rainforests and mangrove forests, which allow you to take part in activities in nature. Finally, you can enjoy many cultural events and festivals here and visit great museums.
- Go to multicultural Dakar to enjoy vibrant shopping and rich nightlife. Examine the Great Mosque with its soaring minarets and visit the Museum of African Arts.
- Visit Gorée Island near Dakar, a former slave trading post. Take in a slice of history by visiting the House of Slaves (Maison des Esclaves) museum and its ‘Door of No Return’.
- Discover colonial past and architecture of Saint Louis. In April, come to attend the popular Saint Louis Jazz Festival.
- Observe rich birdlife in Oiseaux de Djoudj National Park near Saint Louis. There, you will see pelicans, herons and great egrets among other species.
- Tour Casamance, an off-the-beaten destination featuring immense beauty. Discover long sandy beaches with palms, rich culture and French culinary influence.
- Explore Niokolo-Koba National Park that comprises savannas and forests rich in wildlife. Among other animals, you will see lions (largest in Africa), panthers, antelopes, elephants, reptiles and birds.
- Discover swamps, mangroves, waterways and islands of Sine Saloum Delta, north of Gambia’s border.
- Street crime, including bag snatching by motorcycle riders, is the biggest threat to tourists in Dakar. Don’t walk alone at night and keep valuables out of sight when holidaying in Senegal.
- French is the official language in Senegal, and is spoken fluently. Few people understand English.
- You can find ATMs in banks in larger cities. Credit cards are rarely accepted. You won’t have trouble to convert USD and Euros to local currency.
- Reliable internet is available at internet cafes in major cities.
- Consult a doctor to get medical updates before your trip to Senegal.