Looking for available travel experts
The Vikings, the reindeers, the Northern lights and endless warm summer nights; Sweden is a country that feels like it is right out of a fairy tale. This Scandinavian country is full of life, character and culture. Despite the location of the country, the Gulf Stream makes the weather mild and temperate in Sweden. It is one of those countries you can experience all the seasons in their full glorious state with white cold winters, soft colorful springs, warm summers and clear golden falls.
Sweden is a country that has been blessed with plentiful natural lakes, forests, hills and wildlife. Swedes carry the freedom and the air of life that reflect their placid environment; they are cheerful, helpful and do not hold back when consuming good food and fine distilled beverages unique to their land. During winter, Sweden is perfect for skiing, sledding, snowboarding and ice fishing. ABBA (the museum), Stockholm Palace, Djurgården park, The Göta Canal, and Abisko National Park rank high in popular tourist attractions and destinations.
- Walk the vibrant cobblestone streets of Gamla Stan
- Cruise down the Gota Canal
- Visit some reindeer in the Sámi village of Rávttas
- Go dog sledding
- Shop at the winter market in Jokkmokk, Lapland
- Take a steamboat tour of the Stockholm archipelago
- See the incredible Vasa Battleship at The Vasa Museum
- Like most Scandinavian capital cities, Stockholm is a cyclist’s paradise. Do as the locals do. Rent a bike and explore the city’s 800km of bike paths.
- Get ready to try some new (and smelly) foods. Popular Swedish cuisine includes pickled herring and fermented fish.
- Looking to buy a drink to enjoy in the comfort of your hotel room? Very little alcohol is sold in Swedish supermarkets. For anything stronger than low-percentage beer, you will have to visit your closest Sytembolaget (government owned chain of liquor stores).
- Your trip to Sweden might be one of your most relaxing holidays ever, thanks to ‘fika’. Loosely translated as ‘pause’ or ‘coffee break’, it basically means the Swedes love to take a break and enjoy a hot drink and some pastries with their loved ones.
- The Swedes are very polite and expect you to be the same. Never, ever cut in a queue while in Sweden.
Sweden has seasonal weather so please do check up on the best time to visit Sweden before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in Sweden, do check out our Sweden Travel Guide for more information.