El Salvador (meaning ‘The Savior’) is the smallest nation in Central America. With a history dating all the way back to the Prehistoric era, this country is filled with history, culture and striking beauty. Sitting just south of Mexico, this country is filled to the brim with a rich background in Mayan culture and Spanish history. If you enjoy surfing, a holiday in El Salvador is perfect due to its large waves from the Pacific Ocean.
- Explore the ancient Mayan ruins that have been left behind.
- Visit some of the volcanic sites that dot this small country.
- Eat ceviche fresh from the ocean.
- Explore the Ruta de las Flores.
- Hike in Pico Bonito National Park.
- Drink in a cup of fresh coffee from one of the coffee plantations.
- Discover the Hawksbill Sea Turtle and many other species of wildlife.
- Be careful at night; the cities can be unsafe.
- Ask locals where it is safe to surf.
- Don’t leave things unattended at the beach; they will be stolen.
- Take the bus and be wary of prices; things are expensive.
- Avoid large gatherings or demonstrations; they can become unsafe.
El Salvador has seasonal weather so please do check up on the best time to visit El Salvador before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in El Salvador, do check out our El Salvador Travel Guide for more information.