- duration 18 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Gain magnificent views of the sacred peak, Jomolhari and Jichu Drake
- Discover pristine wilderness trekking over high mountain passes
- Experience Laya, one of the most remote settlements on earth and home to the indigenous Layap
- Ascend to 'Tiger's Nest' Monastery for an insight into Buddhist culture
The classic Laya - Gasa trek across the backbone of Bhutan. A superb trek into the heartland of Bhutan. We follow forest trails and appreciate the wide variety of rhododendrons and other spring flowers as we ascend to our camp beneath the sacred peak of Jomolhari. Suitably inspired we cross a series of high passes (each in the vicinity of 5000m) and camp in alpine meadows beneath a constant backdrop of snow capped peaks. Yak herder encampments and isolated settlements provide an attractive cultural perspective to our trek, while time in Paro and Thimphu provides a further highlight to this outstanding itinerary.
Day 1 : Join Paro (2200m)
Day 2 : Paro Valley, Taktsang Monastery (3100m) & National Museum
Day 3 : Drive past Drukyel Dzong (2580m) to Shana (2860m) and commence trek to Thongo Zampa (3250m), (11kms, approx 4 hrs)
Day 4 : Trek to Soi Thangthangkha (3700m) (approx 4 hrs)
Day 5 : Trek to Jangothang (4100m) (12kms, approx 5 hours)
Day 6 : At Jangothang (acclimatisation day)
Day 7 : Cross Nyile La (4890m) to Lingshi Village (~15kms, approx 7 hrs)
Day 8 : Trek to Chebisa (3880m) village (14kms, approx 5/6 hrs)
Day 9 : Cross Gombu La (4440m) to Shomuthang (4221m) camp (16kms, approx 7/8 hrs)
Day 10 : Cross Jare La (4785m) to Robluthang (4165m) (18kms, approx 8/9 hrs)
Day 11 : Cross Shinche La (5005m) to Lemithang (4150m) (16kms, approx 8/9 hrs)
Day 12 : Trek to Laya village (3800m) (13kms, approx 5/6 hrs)
Day 13 : Rest day at Laya, explore local area
Day 14 : Trek to Thongchu Drak (3500m) (approx 5/6 hrs)
Day 15 : Trek to Gasa village (2770m) (approx 4/5 hrs)
Day 16 : Transfer to Punakha (drive approx. 2-3 hrs)
Day 17 : Drive to Paro via Thimphu (approx 4/5hrs driving)
Day 18 : In Paro, trip concludes
- Good quality accommodation in Paro
- 17 breakfasts, 17 lunches and 17 dinners
- Airport transfers on Day 1 and Day 18
- Private transportation
- Expert bilingual guide
- Safety equipment including portable altitude chamber, group medical and satellite phone for emergency use
- All group camping equipment
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Animals to carry 20kgs personal equipment
- Sightseeing and site entry fees as listed
- Bhutan visa
- International flights
- Bottled water
- Aerated and alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry etc
- Airport & departure taxes
- Travel insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 258 today.
- Earn US$ 171+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Bhutan High Trails via Laya tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 02 January 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 02 January 2022, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Bhutan High Trails via Laya tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Bhutan High Trails via Laya tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.