- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 14
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Explore the beautiful and fascinating Kyoto
After uncovering Kyoto’s most ancient shrines and pathways, we head off the beaten track to the Kumano Kodo region; one of Japan's most remote and rewarding pilgrimage routes. This moderate walking trip focuses on beautiful scenery and nature, rural life, and following in the footsteps of religious pilgrimages on some of the country’s most historic walks. Staying in traditional ryokans along the way, this journey invites full immersion into the authentic Japanese culture and way of life. Afterwards, we visit Toba to learn about the famous Ama Divers and embark on one last pilgrimage walk on the famous Nakasendo Way, before entering back into the modern civilisation of Tokyo!
Day 1: Start Kyoto
Day 2: Hike to the Kibune shrine; onto Kurama temple; return to Kyoto
Day 3: Walk on the historic Yamano be no michi; one of Japan’s oldest still
existing path roads
Day 4: Morning walk to the Fushimi Inari Shrine; free time in Kyoto before train to
Day 5: Start walking the Kumano Kodo; a series of ancient pilgrimage routes. Bus
transfer to Takajiri-oji; Hike to Nonaka passing Takahara village
Day 6: Walk in the forest, crossing rivers and ancient shrines; transfer by local
bus to Yunomine Onsen
Day 7: Follow the old spiritual path from Ukegawa to Koguchi; transfer to Kawayu
Onsen; enjoy views of the surrounding Kumano mountain range
Day 8: Walk past historic sites and wonderful views to Nachi Falls and Kumano Nachi
Taisha, one of the Kumano Kodo’s main pilgrimage destinations
Day 9: Travel by train to Toba, located in the rural Mie prefecture; learn about the
famous Ama divers on Mikimoto Pearl Island
Day 10: Osatsu village followed by lunch at the Ama hut; visit Ise Shrine
Day 11: Scenic train journey to charming Kiso Fukushima
Day 12: Walk a section of the ancient Nakasendo Way from Tsumago to Magome
Day 13: Train to Tokyo; free time to explore
Day 14: End Tokyo
- All accommodation All transport and listed activities
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches and 9 dinners
- Any international flights to Kyoto and from Tokyo are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Japan's Kumano Kodo tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 350+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Japan's Kumano Kodo tour. You can cancel the tour up to 91 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 90 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 23 January 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 23 January 2022, a deposit of 25% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 90 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Japan's Kumano Kodo tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Japan's Kumano Kodo tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.